New iPad Runs 10°F Hotter than iPad 2; Apple Says It's Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

devBunny

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Now we also know that it runs a whopping 10 degrees hotter than the last iteration of Apple's tablet.

Yeah, 10 degrees!! Burns units to be alerted. :-O

Now, 10 degrees Fahrenheit is negligible

Yeah, only a measly 10 degrees. You wouldn't even notice. There's no story here.

a whopping 10 degrees hotter

No, you're right. This is major!

10 degrees Fahrenheit is negligible

Aaaggh. Make your mind up. :-S

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
well...at least it'll make a nice handwarmer during winter...

too bad it's spring going into summer...

wonder if there's going to be problems later down the road when there is heat buildup when using various cases with rising temperatures due to weather?

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ummm, the article forgot to mention this:

Users who snapped up the just-released slate are reportedly experiencing an abnormal amount of heat being produced by the device, causing some units to shut down and display the message: “iPad needs to cool down before you can use it”

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
It might only be 10 degrees, but keep in mind that with a system running hotter, it'll be more prone to overheating and shutting down... especially with summer creeping closer.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
"It just works", though apparently not when it's transformed into a toaster.

Though it was obviously coming, just cranking up the tdp of the chip and making everything bigger with no actual component improvement is going to cause that.

This Ipad is shocking, even compared to Apple's usual tricks.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
without signifigant node shrinks the mroe powerful we want our handheld and portable devices the closer we come to the point where passive cooling isn't going to cut it. that or add alot of copper or other highly conductive matrial to help passivly cool it resulting in a thicker device. dont' know how many people would want a fan on a phone, but on a tablelet as long as its quiet i would actuall want coling to make sure my device lasted

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I would think it was because of the beefier batteries and those same batteries are still being charged atm......

Will take a few days for them to charge up from all the use.

^.^

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
From the WSJ: "Consumer Reports said the new iPad can get as hot as 116 degrees Fahrenheit while performing processor-intensive tasks such as playing videogames for an extended period while plugged in." That's getting up there. Owners might need to put it on a laptop cooling pad instead of directly on their lap.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
Someone should make a case for it to dissipate heat better and offer it to the customers who complain about it. Other than that, you are asking for Apple to issue an update to constrain the performance so these people may be happy. I own a MBP and trust me, it can easily jump to temperatures that do not feel comfortable to the touch, at all. My solution was to reapply thermal paste and it help significantly. In this case, it wouldn't be apparent.

This is a bunch of crapola, your skin temperature is about 33 °C or 91 °F. Running some oddball benchmark means zip. I like my 'new iPad and haven't noticed any differences. If that bothers anyone then you're a baby -- go away.

The reason it is slightly heavier and thicker is due to added battery size from additional drain by the 4-core GPU and added 4G LTE to keep the battery life the same.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]This is a bunch of crapola, your skin temperature is about 33 °C or 91 °F. Running some oddball benchmark means zip. I like my 'new iPad and haven't noticed any differences. If that bothers anyone then you're a baby -- go away.The reason it is slightly heavier and thicker is due to added battery size from additional drain by the 4-core GPU and added 4G LTE to keep the battery life the same.[/citation]

I'd like for you to sit in a room that is heated at 91 °F. Trust me, it will not feel comfortable.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I'd like for you to sit in a room that is heated at 91 °F. Trust me, it will not feel comfortable.[/citation]
Thats almost pushing the threshold for operating room temperature. Plus sitting in a 91º F room is uncomfortable already.

G

Its all part of the plan.

If anyone bothers to complain (most will not) apple will replace your ipad with a refurbished ipad. Then they will send your ipad to foxconn where 2 workers must spit shine every ipad return worldwide. The ipad then becomes a refurbished unit, to be sold at a minor discount or given to anyone who complains. If you are very lucky they might even wipe your data!

marcopalestra

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I'd like for you to sit in a room that is heated at 91 °F. Trust me, it will not feel comfortable.[/citation]

If i sit in a room that is heated 33,6°C or 91°F I turn on the air conditioner and will feel confortable

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Since the iPad's launch four days ago, the tech industry is comparing every aspect of the device to its predecessor, the iPad 2. Aside from the obvious differences (the quad-core graphics, retina display, double the RAM, and massive battery), we've already learned that the iPad 3 is a little bit heavier and a little bit thicker than the iPad 2.

Wow, it took the tech industry four days to figure that one out? Funny, it took me all of 3 seconds...Anything with a larger battery is going to be heavier, and beefier components are going to run hotter (usually). How is this news?

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
New iPad Runs 10°F Hotter than iPad 2; Apple Says It's Cool............yeah until the battery gets hacked and the thermal protection gets turned off.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
91 °F? That's night time temps where I live :p I would be in heaven if that was as high as the temperature got here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS