[SOLVED] New-ish AMD Ryzen 7 x3800 build problems

Nov 25, 2019
First post here. Don't know where else to turn, but I've found lurking on this forum helpful, and usually when doing a Google search on an issue Tom's Hardware forum pops up with something useful.

I have a sort of new build (a few older components carried over) that is causing me headaches. I've built over a dozen systems for home and office, so I'm not a total newb. But this is the first time attempting an AMD system since the old Athlon days. I attempting to just run things stock with little to no overclocking. Here are my components:

AMD Ryzen 7 x3800 (Noctua NH-U12P cooler)
Asrock x570 Extreme4 (BIOS updated to 2.10)
G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 - 3600MHz (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Silicon Power 2TB NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3x4 2280
EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Ti
Windows 10 64bit Pro

I have assembled everything, and have a couple issues:

First, it takes abnormally long to post after hitting the power, maybe 15-20 seconds.
When it finally boots into Windows 10, the login screen freezes for another 30 seconds or so and no mouse or keyboard input is possible.
The freeze releases and I can login, but after maybe after another 10 seconds the "device disconnected" sound plays . . . and freezes, causing the sound to hold on a buzz.
Usually it then releases and things run mostly normally. But sometimes it reboots.
My CPU idle temp (reported in BIOS) is generally 45-58°C, which seems high to me.

To fix the above, I have:

Updated the BIOS to the latest version (2.10).
Attempted to force the timing and voltage of the memory in BIOS to the stated ratings rather than letting it auto set. This caused the computer not to post, and I had to clear the CMOS.
Reinstalled Windows 10 in a non-CSM (Compatibility Support Module) environment.
Attempted to boot with only one DRAM module (tried both). This caused even further instability.

My next step:

I noticed that the Asrock x570 Extreme4 is not on the G.Skill page for this memory set. The specs still should check out, but just in case I ordered a 3200MHz set that does have the Extreme4 board listed as supported. This should arrive tomorrow. If that does not work, I am considering returning the motherboard as possibly defective.

Any other suggestions? I just built an i9 system at the office, and that went smooth as butter. Not sure why this one is throwing me for a loop. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Last edited:
Solution
Guide to install Windows 10 on NVMe M.2 boot drive:

The NVMe M.2 drive should be the only storage drive connected.

NVMe SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module, Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver

Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM. Make sure it is disabled.

Click on the secure boot option below and make sure it is set to another OS, not windows UEFI.

Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works too...

NVMe SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module, Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver

Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM. Make sure it is disabled.

Click on the secure boot option below and make sure it is set to another OS, not windows UEFI.

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works too. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.

Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

Press F10 to save and exit, Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

*How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above. You can obtain the ISO file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution
Nov 25, 2019

Insert a USB memory stick with a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup* on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works too. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.

Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

Press F10 to save and exit, Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

*How to create a bootable UEFI USB drive with Windows 10 Setup

The Windows 10 ISO link is broken in the above. You can obtain the ISO file here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Calvin, thank you for the in depth write up.

Okay. So, when I installed Windows 10 the second time I did do some of those steps, though not all of them.

I disconnected all other storage besides NVMe and my DVD drive, I disabled CSM, and installed from the DVD, and everything seemed to have installed fine.

Are you thinking that it will have installed with incorrect settings or drivers or something? What is the goal of the steps in your instructions?

I'm happy to try it all out, but would like to understand what it is I'm trying to accomplish by it. Thank you!

Chris

TRENDING THREADS