[SOLVED] New-ish hard drive showing uncorrectable sectors

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
Today out of curiosity i ran a health check on my SSD & HDDs and my 3 months old 2TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD is showing two warnings:
-Pending sector count: 8
-Uncorrectable Sector Count: 8

The reason why i bought this hard drive in the first place is because the one i was using before was 6 years old and i had used it for another 2 years and when analyzing it it was throwing all kinds of errors, so i bought a brand new hard drive, but curiously enough now the old drive doesn't show any errors but the new one does...could it just be that the software i'm using (Crystal disk info) is BS?
Can i fix these issues or is my new hard drive already dying?

Solution
If your hard drive is showing bad sectors, the odds are it is going to get worse. If it is an ST2000DM001, they are prone to fail fairly quickly. Send it back under warranty. Any attempt to repair basically hides the bad sectors and clears the SMART warnings, but don't address the underlying issues that caused the issues in the first place.

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
If your hard drive is showing bad sectors, the odds are it is going to get worse. If it is an ST2000DM001, they are prone to fail fairly quickly. Send it back under warranty. Any attempt to repair basically hides the bad sectors and clears the SMART warnings, but don't address the underlying issues that caused the issues in the first place.

Solution