Question New-ish Laptop Running sub-250kbps download speeds (with frequent dips below)

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Hey guys, I'm currently on vacation in Florida, and thus am forced to use a fairly low-power laptop. It's running an i3 8130U, with 12GB 2400MHz DDR4 and integrated graphics. Despite the (seemingly) adequate spec sheet, it runs almost constantly with near 100% CPU usage, and (on WiFi which speedtested @ around 2MBPS) it downloads at a miserable 10-200 kbps. Is there any way for me to fix this? I compared it to my home PC and according to UserBenchmark the 8130U should outperform my FX 8320, which clearly is not the case. I would, of course, expect some difference between my home setup (10-20MBPS on Ethernet) and WiFi, but this seems a bit abnormal.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

Although the 8130u is faster as per single core, it only has 2 cores/4threads, vs the fx 8 cores, so things get tied up faster on the intel.
200KBps isnt bad when you remember that 2Mbps is only 250KBps, as in there are 8 bits per byte, so 2 Mega bits is equivalent to 250 Kilo Bytes. Capital B for bytes, lowercase b for bits.

As for the dips, I'd just chalk that up to a poor connection.