New-ish pc wont turn on

cashkinz

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
I just built a new gaming pc a month ago, and it's been working fine for a while. really good actually, it was fun. I then moved off to college and it was working fine for like a week but then one day, i turn it on and the fans start but cut off immediately, as do the fan led's. I tried unplugging and replugging the psu, changing cables, outlets, and surge protectors. Tried straight into an outlet, tried another surge protector. Everything else that is plugged in works fine. I then took out a stick of ram and swapped out which one i was using. and i progressively worked my way down to just the motherboard, the pc's usb/audio/case stuff, and the cpu being plugged in. Still no luck. usually have to flip the switch on the psu after the first failed flash of light/fan spin. I used a flat head screwdriver to activate the clear cmos switch. Really unsure as to what to do.

Components:
Ryzen 1600 with stock cooler
MSI Gaming Plus x370
2x trident rgb 8 gb 3200 ram, 16 gb total
EVGA Nvidia 950 sc+ refurbished
corsair CX650m
Samsung 850 evo ssd
WD blue 1 tb

cashkinz

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
i ran through those steps, I don't have the system speaker, my motherboard does come with MSI's ez debug leds, should that be adequate? I dont have the best access to somewhere to get a system speaker right now. I also can't really breadboard, given the shared college dorm thing.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Alrighty, good thing you find the cause of your problem. Keep us update if you find anything.

cashkinz

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Alright, it took an actual month for my psu to get rma'd, between me taking forever to send it, the taking forever to process it, and hurricane irma, but I put the new psu in my pc, and EUREKA! It works, it appears i had a dead psu. Thanks for all the help.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

No problem. If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask us here, and have fun with your gaming PC.