New Ivy Bridge Build - Need Advice

eddie jr

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hey guys.

I planned on building a new "budget" Ivy Bridge system, but I have a feeling I'll eventually scratch the budget part off and just roll with it. I'll be ordering components as I see them on sale through the holidays, and hopefully I'll be able to give myself a nice little Christmas present this year.

Anyway, down to business. This is my component list so far:
(Still need to make an hour drive to the nearest Microcenter for the i5-3570k and Extreme4 mobo)

CM HAF 912
Intel i5-3570k
ASRock Extreme4 z77
180GB Intel 330 SSD (For dual boot OS)
1TB WD Caviar Blue 7200RPM (Storage... I might get another for RAID 1... Probably not necessary but I get paranoid.)
Antec 750W PSU 80+Gold

Now, I think I'm going to go with the XFX 7870 as far as performance/dollar and I'm comfortable with that price range. I need to know what type of RAM to go with for an all around computer. I was thinking 16GB Ripjaws @ 1600mHz would do the trick, but I'm wondering if that will limit the performance of the rig. Of course the build is one that should breeze through gaming, but I also need it to be able to handle things like CS6 Ultimate, Expression, Game Studio and all that hooplah... I also need advice on proper cooling with all of this stuff. I'm not fond of water cooling though, so I was just going to max out the fans and throw in a CM 212 Evo to keep it decent. Would that be enough for a long life?

Keep in mind that this is my first "official" build, so any constructive criticism is much appreciated.

The parts just started coming in today, and should do so steadily within the next few weeks :bounce:

Thanks guys.

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
And 2 things about your build: unless you edit music/download looootss of movies and games, you'll NEVER use 2TB and it's unlikely you'll use 1. also, 16g of ram is a waste, 8 gigs will do everything you need unless you're, like, rendering 3 things in 3d at once, or you want to dedicate a bunch of ram to a server for terraria/minecraft/chivalry etc.

eddie jr

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Thank you for the advice. Both of these look like they would work.

I should have mentioned, I haven't had too much experience (if any) with overclocking, but that's why people build things this way, right? Would I be able to run the cpu at a stable 4.0GHz with this setup? What would I need to change as far as components?

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Thanks, you flatter me. :p

Okay let's see...

Dunno about the storage capacity thing, it's the end user who's gonna make use of it so s/he'll probably know more on how much s/he'll need. :p

+1 16gb of RAM is a waste. The point where you'll need 16gb of RAM is when you'll be doing heavy CPU tasks such as video rendering and would call for an i7's hyperthreading.

Oh okay. Cool then. :)

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Oh, and, person. Hyper 212 evo is amazing for the money right now, it's on sale for like 25 bucks at newegg right now, you'd be STUPID not to grab it.

EDIT: oh, and, excella, as a kinda response to your thing on my thread, I need the 1TB because I save almost all of my videos that are 1hr +, so yeah. lots of storage required, might even get another couple 2TB drives and a couple SSD cache drives. if thats even how that works. xD

Did you get an aftermarket heatsink? Your rig is fine as long as that Extreme 4 is a z77 chipset, but pick up a $20 Hyper 212+ or $30 Hyper 212 EVO.

I've got a hyper 212+ with an aftermarket-aftermarket fan and got my i5 to hit 4.4GHz @ 1.18v with better temps than stock everything.

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

the 212 EVO is on sale for like less than the 212+ right now at newegg. (read above post)

eddie jr

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I should edit that. It is a z77 chipset. Thanks for the input and I hope to witness such performance first-hand once I'm done the build. I'll be charging the card for the cooler, ram, and fans as soon as my next package comes in :sol:

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Oh and excella, just kind of random (or any computer junkie like me out there) I have a really cool story about what happened to me and a friend building his first computer together if you're interested.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
If you have a microcenter, you're in luck.
They have this weird promo bundle that gives you a $50 discount when you buy a matching CPU+motherboard.

@GreedFusion - Sure, I've always liked listening to random stories. :lol:

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Okay, so. He has the same NZXT case I picked out, only in green (idk where he got it xD) and he bought a REALLy fantastic sabertooth mobo, for a 900$ build, so he wouldn't have to replace his mobo anytime soon. his other specs are, like, fx 4100, and radeon 7770. he's never built a computer before. SO. us, being total derps, just lay the mobo is his case and start his computer up. :eek:hdammit: it works good for about 20 minutes, he turns it off, then back on, and BAM. won't start up, CPU error. we're all like :eek:hcrapwhatsgoingon: so we check and realise we didn't install any stand offs or anything, and his amazing 200$+ mobo saved his cpu and everything else from frying.
almost wants to make me buy a silly costing mobo.
almost.

eddie jr

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I have one more question as far as cooling is concerned. I'm getting 2x 200mm fans, one for front intake and one for top exhaust. I've switched the back 120mm fan to exhaust, but I want to know if I should set the side panel fan as intake or exhaust since I will be installing the Hyper 212.

I may add in a simple mod by mounting an extra 120mm intake fan to sit directly under the optical drive since I'll only be using one for now, just to reroute any trapped heat.

eddie jr

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

That's my biggest concern. I want to use it as an intake fan, and the exhausts would be strictly up top and in the rear, but I don't want to create a family of dust bunnies in my PC. I'm thinking with the 200mm at the top, and the 120mm in the back, along with the Hyper 212 cooler, there's not much need for any more exhaust fans... Unless I am mistaken. It's not like I'm going to be constantly pushing my GPU to the limit, but I know cooler is always better. My PSU will be mounted with the fan facing upwards, rather than downward simply because it looks nicer and I don't think it's a big cause for concern, especially if my PC has adequate cooling. I guess I could just transfer the HAF 912 stock dust filter from the bottom to the side panel since the psu is mounted to pull air from inside the case?

Again, I know some of these questions may be elementary, but this is my first personal build and I want it to last me a while... Thanks for all the advice everyone.

GreedFusion

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
as long as you clean out your system from dust every ~10 months you'll be fine. My uncle who is 100% not computer savvy has NEVER cleaned his out and his still runs (not recommending it just saying xD)
EDIT: I use compressed air to clean away dust, idk if thats what normal people do xD

An exhaust fan on the side doesn't help much - heat rises.

Also, it's not like you have to worry about dust bunnies, it's just that dust gets statically charged and makes a thin cover on parts that reduces cooling efficiency.

Don't worry about how long it will last - that's not a concern. Just clean it once in a while.

And do what Greed does, as it is normal. Do NOT use a cloth, wet or otherwise.