New Ivy Bridge Work Build $1,500

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
New Ivy Bridge Work Build $1,500

We need a new computer mostly for work (personal as well). We use Adobe CS, Word, Photo Shop, Office, XSite Pro and more almost everyday. We have to build our own websites create our own product description videos and DVD's and do fairly large uploads to our manufacturer.

I'm a bit confused with some of the new stuff out now and not sure what to get that would be best for our needs at a decent price. I don't know which would be best for us at this point between Intel or the AMD F1 or APU thing or what.

In following the article *How To Ask For New Build Advice*:

Purchase date: around June/July 2012 (after the bios, drivers and bugs have been worked out on the z77 & Ivy Bridge)

Budget Range: $1,000 to $1,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: For work - Adobe CS, Office, Word, Photo Shop, XSite Pro, powerpoint lectures, making/rendering HD videos and music, watching movies, occasional minor online gaming.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers... We got a new Asus VH222 monitor 1.5 years ago. 500g HD 6 months old but, would love a new SSD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg is fine

Parts Preferences: Unsure, I think I want...

Case with removable dust filters, great air flow, quite
at least a quad-core CPU
8g minimum preferably 16g DDR3 1600 RAM

Overclocking: We will never overclock anything, we want a long lifespan.

SLI or Crossfire: We will never use more than one GPU

Additional Comments:

Quite, low energy consumption (we're always working), low heat &/or great air flow, reliable PC with no compatibility or downtime issues, lots of multi-tasking capability. It would be great if we could network between the desktop & a laptop (don't have laptop yet) at some point. We will need a laptop to do powerpoint lectures across several countries at the end of this year.

Price is an issue, I might be able to stretch to $1,500 max by July if it's really worth it (I'm curious about Ivy Bridge)... we'll see. I wanted the new, next generation hardware i.e. USB 3 (pretty standard now) and PCIe 3.0 (still not available by AMD). I was hoping for a mobo that included all gen 3 features and lose all the USB 2, PCIe 2 sata 2 etc and go all gen 3 since it's all backwards compatible but, that may not happen until Haswell.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm re-posting jaquith's post over to here from my thread Z77 Mobo discussion

I am totally unaware of these B2 and C1 bug issues. is this for real and can't Intel fix it?

:eek:

He's right about the first two. The Cougar silicone fiasco with the 1155 boards. It was a crappy silicone job done on those boards and all the 1155 boards were taken off the market for about three months until they got fixed, hence the reason you see "B3 Stepping) at the name of a lot of the 1155 boards. And yes Sandy Bridge-E had a bug also, but if you check this review down below it has been taken care of also. As far as the Ivy Bridge cpu's not coming out until June...those as far as I know are the chips for the notebooks/laptops, and low end pre builts. That is only because Intel has a crap load of Sandy Bridge cpu's for that market that they want to dump first. It's on the Intel site.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x79-extreme4-dx79to-p9x79-benchmark,3138.html <---- Sandy Bridge-E mobo review done with the new stepping cpu's. It's been fixed.

triplej

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
For work I use an i5-2400 with 4 GB of RAM Dell with a dual monitor display, I mostly just use Microsoft Office and websites, but the CPU is usually at 1-10% and the RAM has never gone past 2.5 GB.

For gaming I have an i5-760 with 8 GB 1333 mhz ram, a GTX 460 1 GB and a 7200 RPM hard drive, and it plays Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 in 1080P max settings at 60 FPS almost always.

And then I also have an old dual core 2.0 ghz, 2 GB ram laptop that could barely run windows vista, so I uninstalled that and put Ubuntu on it for web browsing/video watching/mp3 playing on the living room tv and it works great for all of that.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Quoted above:

"... However, you'll be waiting until June or more than likely July for either the Ivy Bridge CPUs and/or the Z77 MOBOs. Further, IMO add on to that at least 2+ months for early adopters to get the bugs worked out ;)

Intel as you know had the B2 bug, but they also pooched their SB-E with another C1 Vt-d bug -- ever notice the lack of i7-3930K ... most all the i7-3960X currently selling are being sold with the C1 bug...until they all sell-out."

A response:

"The B2 bug was in the 6 series chipset, which has been fixed and gone for a very long time now. All the 6 series chipsets are now B3 that fixed the SATA 3 bug that only about 2% of people would ever have seen.

The C1 stepping bug is Vt-d which most people wont use but its already fixed and the new steppings should be rolling out pretty soon as they were set to come out when the quad core LGA2011 CPU came out."

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I need help deciding between either the Ivy Bridge i7-3770 @ 77watts or i7-3770S @ 65w or possibly the 3770T @ 45w

For what I need it for, I'll never over-clock the CPU or anything for a very long lifespan but, what problems or issues might I run into by getting the i7-3770 S or T? Low energy consumption is important to us and our business (for electric bills mostly). Do the S and T models really even save much on energy or is it just a gimmick?

My other question is about the threads - 4 or 8. How do I know which is best for me? The i7-3770T still has 8 threads while the S only has 4.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-CPU-LGA1155,14325.html

ajdavis

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
The threads are essentially a way to extract more performance from a processor without changing the physical core count. i.e. With a 4-core, 8-thread processor, it will function at the level of an 8-core processor (theoretically). So essentially, getting an 8-thread processor gets you more performance. If it is in your budget, its a GREAT way to make sure you get the most performance you can. All of the i7-3770 processors have 4 cores / 8 threads.

As far as energy savings, it wouldn't be much. Between the T, S, and K (without overclocking), the wattages are 45, 65, and 77 respectively. If you leave the computer running 24/7/365, you would use 394.2, 569.4, 674.5 KWh respectively. If you pay .15 per KWh (14.7 cents in Chicago currently, as a good estimate), then the yearly cost to power the processor is $59.13, $85.41, and $101.18 respectively. So the power savings isn't much. It should matter more in a laptop.

As for processor cost, the difference is $38 for .4 GHz in performance. I would state this is well worth it if you never plan to O.C. As for the $38 difference between the locked (3770) and unlocked (3770K), it is a preference. If you REALLY will never OC, then it would be a waste of $38. I would keep this option open. It is really worth it, and if you get the ASUS board, it will overclock it for you safely without you actually having to adjust anything. My current Asus P8Z68 kicked my i5-2500K to go from 3.4 to 4.5. I just clicked the button and it did it. No instability, and it doesn't hurt your processor. It just extracts the power it is able to make. Safely.

Short answer: buy the 3770K and use the overclocking in a year or 2 when the system is getting a bit outdated, as this will give you a nice refreshing boost in performance while only costing you $38 (which you paid for a year ago)

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Here's where I am now as of today:

MB: GIGABYTE z77 UD 3 or 5
CPU: Ivy Bridge i7 3770
RAM: 8 or 16g
SSD: Intel 520 Cherryville 120g or Mushkin?
HD: ?
GPU: ?
PSU: Seasonic or Coolermaster?
Case: Antec 302?

What size wattage PSU would you recommend (keep in mind that I may end up getting a GPU down the road)? I'm still trying to figure out if the Intel HD4000 integrated graphics will work fine for me or if I will need a discrete GPU like say, for example, an NVidia 650?

Do Mushkin make great SSD's and RAM? My local computer store recommends I get the Mushkin SSD and RAM because they say that they're a great product that has a very low return/issue rate in their years of experience.

I'm also a bit concerned about the heat on the Ivy Bridge. If I could wait another year I'd wait for Haswell and the z88 chipset mobo. My system is from 04/5 & I don't think I can wait anymore.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks azeem40.

So, Mushkin make reliable SSD's and RAM then that are a good match for this system? Will a Mushkin SSD work fine with Intel's SSD caching thingy and quick boot?

What about a PSU from Coolermaster? I'd prefer the Seasonic but, my local computer shop highly recommends Coolermaster for the same reasons I listed above.

I'm also still trying to decide between the Gigabyte z77 UD 3 or 5?

They are good match for any system really. :)

Yes, it can be used to cache. You can even use the SSD for the OS as the remaining 60 or so GB will be available for the SSD to use. It doesn't just use 60GB for cache and render the whole SSD useless. That's the miracle of the SRT technology.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Wow, the Ivy Bridge i7 3770k ranks #7 while the 3770 still ranks #9 with 10452 in the PassMark Performance Test chart:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

For a comparison, our original CPU - AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6 socket 754 comes in at 401 with a rank of #1078:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Sempron+2600%2B

We upgraded to the AMD Athlon 3200 2.0, 2 years ago, which comes in at 524 with a rank of #960:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+64+3200%2B

I don't specialize in math but, I'm curious of what the % of performance increase is from these compared to the new 3770?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I'm fairly concerned with the heat produced by the Ivy Bridge CPU. Is it an issue that might be resolved on Intel's end? Will Intel use a different package thermal technology now that this issue has gotten their attention?

Or is it not even really going to be an issue for me since I'm just getting the 3770 not the k overclock version? Will I need to get a better cooler to replace the one that comes with the Ivy?

Intel Confirms New CPU packing after thermal problem in the Ivy Bridge..."

'We Are Using A Different package thermal technology on 3rd-Generation Intel ® Core ™ desktop processors (Ivy Bridge). Coupled with the higher thermal density of the 22nm process shrink, users may observed higher operating tempera tures When Overclocking. This is as designed and meets the quality and reliability expectations for Parties operating under Unspecified Conditions. "Solder Intel's statement in an email to NordicHardware..."

http://www.nordichardware.se/test-lab-cpu-chipset/45794-intel-bekraeftar-ny-cpu-packning-efter-temperaturproblem-i-ivy-bridge.html
http://translate.google.com

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

The acknowledgement implies that it is more likely to be addressed in future releases, unless Intel delays the release of the IB to fix it straight away. You may want to wait, if you may, before taking the plunge...

Although you would not over clock, I would try and purchase an after-market cooler.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Indeed SSri, I will definitely be waiting until all the bios, drivers & bug issues have been worked out before I 'take the plunge.' I'm planning on a July purchase time period depending on when those issues get taken care of. It would be sweet if Intel made whatever changes to help Ivy cool down a bit but, maybe that's just wishful thinking unless it's a cheap/easy fix.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

That's a lot of time. You should hopefully be fine by the. Good luck

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Intel's Ivy Bridge Hotter Than Sandy Bridge When Overclocked
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ivy-bridge-overclocking-high-temp,15512.html

Unfortunately, this article doesn't address the i7 3770 without overclocking at all. I'd like to see reviews on that chip w/o overclocking to see if heat is still an issue. Will that chip run consistently hotter too? I'd like to know if the stock cooler from Intel is fine or not for the i7 3770 too.

Or, I'd like to know if Intel plans on making some changes on Ivy to address this heat issue. I'm not buying the Ivy i7 3770 if it's just going to die on me after just 2 or 3 years due to heat exhaustion.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I really want to find out if the extra heat will shorten the lifespan of the CPU or not. Plus, I'm now really concerned about NOISE due to the heat build up on the CPU. To me, the heat issue is about the worse thing that could happen because while bios, drivers or bugs can be fixed - this heat issue may not be easily fixed:

"Keep in mind anything >60C+ is going to be making a lot of noise even on the H100..."
"To 'me' and most Hot or (too) Warm translates into NOISE to cool the CPU, and IF it takes all of the efforts of say an H100 or Noctua NH-D14 to keep the IB (K) cool then IMO the IB (K) will be DOA to most enthusiasts who have any experience with OC'ing because no one wants Earmuffs playing BF3 or whatever...>55C~60C is when things start getting loud. "
If this new i7 3770 system were for me I wouldn't be worried 'cause I'd keep an eye on temps when needed but, this system is actually for the lady, who doesn't pay any attention to stuff like that. I'll probably get a Haswell system for myself next year.

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

The IB is an infant. There is no clear cut answer to your concern. One has got to experiement it. You have plenty of silence cases that can handle the job. If you are worried about the heat issue, you may need to shell out more $$$ for a custom water cooling or wait for a few more months if the IB is your choice.