[SOLVED] New keyboard under 120€?

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Hey everyone, so right now I'm using an old redragon keyboard with loud otemu blue switches. I was thinking about getting a Corsair one, as almost all of my setup is corsair stuff, and it'd sync nicely with the RGB, but they're really expensive, so here I am, asking you guys advice. My preferences are: quiet, not overly-flashy and not Razer (they're way too overpriced).
As for the budget, my max is 120€ but if one of them is worth the extra 10-20, I won't hesitate to spend them.

Solution
That looks like a... keyboard, I'll tell you that much...
The fact that it doesn't have reviews on amazon scares me and it doesn't have any sort of backlight, and since I usually use my keyboards in the dark (at night or when I don't feel like turning my light on, I won't see what i'm typing. I understand your point of not being restricted to mainstream brand keyboards though, and I'll look into that, thanks :)

If you are after a quiet mechanical you are restricting to only a few switch types, and with a price limit that is at the edge of RBG keyboard with that switch you are going to have a very limited selection, unless you look at some less known brands, and again price is an issue. Durgod has some build keyboards with MX...
Cuz they're a symbol of quality. In general, if you don't want to get disappointed later on, you 'd better take something from them. I though it's like whatever what I'd take before, but now have a better look at things. I've got some disappointments...

In fact, if you can go to some local shop and try the keyboard before purchase, mb this has the best potential for good results. Both my wireless canyon mouse and keyboard are kinda trashy, but at least the mouse is really quiet, accurate and sensitive. My wired keyboard seems to work better, but, well, I tested it before purchase, and it has better technology of the buttons than the wireless one - you know, the closer the buttons are to the style of the laptop's keyboards, the better it feels - quiet, slim and...Logitech can grant you the best durability of the keyboard, especially for wireless ones, working on batteries. And wireless things kinda' feel better cuz you don't have to ever deal with some stupid cables.

Last edited:

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Cuz they're a symbol of quality. In general, if you don't want to get disappointed later on, you 'd better take something from them. I though it's like whatever what I'd take before, but now have a better look at things. I've got some disappointments...

In fact, if you can go to some local shop and try the keyboard before purchase, mb this has the best potential for good results. Both my wireless canyon mouse and keyboard are kinda trashy (ye, I low budget), but at least the mouse is really quiet, accurate and sensitive. My wired keyboard seems to work better, but, well, I tested it before purchase, and it has better technology of the buttons than the wireless one - you know, the closer the buttons are to the style of the laptop's keyboards, the better it feels - quiet, slim and...Logitech can grant you the best durability of the keyboard, especially for wireless ones, working on batteries. And wireless things kinda' feel better cuz you don't have to ever deal with some stupid cables.
In this message there are 2 valid reasons to choose logi:
1: They're high quality (just like corsair, razer, cooler master etc)
2: Their wireless' keyboard's battery lasts a long time.
Both of those reasons are arguably vague and can be applied with a lot of major companies.
Here's a few reasons that I probably won't choose logitech:
1: Their software is utter garbage and is unusable
2: their switches are also pretty bad, having tried them myself I can safely say for myself and a lot of people that they're plain bad.
3: They're just as expensive as any other keyboard, and usually you don't get as much from them as you do from let's say corsair, cooler master, steelseries and razer.
4: I've had some terrible experience with logitech customer support, and so if my logitech keyboard breaks or something goes wrong, it will be a nightmare.

cooler master

They create keyboards, too? That sounds pretty funny, another good brand. It feels sad that I see them kinda' keen on that useless "floating keys" design. Bit they have some non-floating wireless ones, that can be good.

Well, I 'll try to say it again: If you have an option to hand-test the keyboard(s) for 1-2 minutes in some local shop(s) before purchase, this may be the best way to make the best decision, almost regardless of brand. Ye, I guess you can get the mask and gloves, or if you don't want, without them, and do a little walk.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
They create keyboards, too? That sounds pretty funny, another good brand. It feels sad that I see them kinda' keen on that useless "floating keys" design. Bit they have some non-floating wireless ones, that can be good.

Well, I 'll try to say it again: If you have an option to hand-test the keyboard(s) for 1-2 minutes in some local shop(s) before purchase, this may be the best way to make the best decision, almost regardless of brand. Ye, I guess you can get the mask and gloves, or if you don't want, without them, and do a little walk.
I get the fact that the best way of choosing a keyboard is to hand-test it and find the one that feels more comfortable, but not everyone has the luxury of having a tech shop that sells specific gaming-oriented keyboards; for the rest, man, I really don't understand your way of typing.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
Corsair with silent Reds will be good if you want a Corsair. When they go on sale they can be a good value. Even the lesser known brands are most often well built like this https://www.amazon.com/TKL-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Keycaps/dp/B086VXLJP5/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=cherry+mx+silent&qid=1595096101&sr=8-10&th=1

Gateron silent switches are also good but very hard to find pre-built keyboard with them, however you can get a hotswap keyboard kit and buy your own switches and keycaps.
The fact that it doesn't have reviews on amazon scares me and it doesn't have any sort of backlight, and since I usually use my keyboards in the dark (at night or when I don't feel like turning my light on, I won't see what i'm typing. I understand your point of not being restricted to mainstream brand keyboards though, and I'll look into that, thanks :)

If you are after a quiet mechanical you are restricting to only a few switch types, and with a price limit that is at the edge of RBG keyboard with that switch you are going to have a very limited selection, unless you look at some less known brands, and again price is an issue. Durgod has some build keyboards with MX Silents but cost is higher with RGB https://www.amazon.com/Durgod-Taurus-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B07VYSVFM2/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=silent+keyboard&qid=1595130741&sr=8-15&th=1 white backlit https://www.amazon.com/Durgod-Taurus-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B07VYSVFM2/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=silent+keyboard&qid=1595130741&sr=8-15&th=1

Now if you only want one that is quieter than the blue switches instead of simply quiet then you have a hundred other options since almost every switch is quieter than the blues, especially the cheap ones. Reds, Browns if you want tactile, and a whole host of other models. Just keep in mind keyboards are a never ending source of "what should I get" since there are many brands and many switch types. Unless you actually try a bunch you will not know exactly what you like. My guess is that at least 10 keyboards are needed to be tried before someone gets a good idea about what they are most happy with using.

This is a good site to start with https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php you can select by switch type https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=114

It may be a good idea to forget about keyboards and just take up crack or heroin, it is a simpler decision as to what to take and not any less addicting or expensive LOL

Solution

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019
If you are after a quiet mechanical you are restricting to only a few switch types, and with a price limit that is at the edge of RBG keyboard with that switch you are going to have a very limited selection, unless you look at some less known brands, and again price is an issue. Durgod has some build keyboards with MX Silents but cost is higher with RGB https://www.amazon.com/Durgod-Taurus-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B07VYSVFM2/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=silent+keyboard&qid=1595130741&sr=8-15&th=1 white backlit https://www.amazon.com/Durgod-Taurus-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B07VYSVFM2/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=silent+keyboard&qid=1595130741&sr=8-15&th=1

Now if you only want one that is quieter than the blue switches instead of simply quiet then you have a hundred other options since almost every switch is quieter than the blues, especially the cheap ones. Reds, Browns if you want tactile, and a whole host of other models. Just keep in mind keyboards are a never ending source of "what should I get" since there are many brands and many switch types. Unless you actually try a bunch you will not know exactly what you like. My guess is that at least 10 keyboards are needed to be tried before someone gets a good idea about what they are most happy with using.

This is a good site to start with https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php you can select by switch type https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=114

It may be a good idea to forget about keyboards and just take up crack or heroin, it is a simpler decision as to what to take and not any less addicting or expensive LOL

This is a really good answer out answer, thank you for that. I like those two keyboards, and I would get them. The only problem I have (here's a classic example of being picky, ik, i'm spoiled) that I'm making a corsair theme build, so I can control everything through iCUE. I'm extremely nit-picky about the stuff I get, and only a few keyboards fit my ideal category, and those are the K70 with silent reds or the Strafe with silent reds. Since I'm getting extra work, I'm getting extra money, and I'm hoping I can extend my budget to 200 Euros. And this brings me to my next point; I live in Italy, and I use US layout. Shipping from the US to Italy is 70-80 Euros, and I'm not willing to spend that money. I'm trying to find a workaround for this. But a big reason that I want to order from amazon.com and not european amazons is because a lot of the european amazons don't have MX silent switch keyboards.

A_Salad

Commendable
Feb 17, 2019