New Kindle Paperwhite Up for Preorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. I have more books on my SD card than that 2GB available. Besides, I can switch my library from one device to another should I have the need to do it.
The moment Amazon adds SD card support they'll get my money. As it is now, I am not paying for a crippled device just to support their copyright paranoia. Sorry.

inherendo

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I have a kindle and don't mind not having expandable memory. A book is like 10 mb max, why would you need your whole collection all at once?

beta212

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Damned, this sure teaches a lesson about patience. I bought the kindle PW less than 1 month ago, maybe I should return it as defective(kindle quality control sucks, more than 35 sand grain sized white specks on my screen. Warning for new buyers, the screen often is defective), and cash in it as a new PW? I know it's unethical, but...it's not illegal.

And just in case anybody from amazon is reading this, please give us the option to turn off autocomplete, that's slowing down typing significantly.

alextheblue

Distinguished
House70: You can download your library at any time onto any device which has Kindle software - which is basically all platforms. Although I would also like to have an SD card slot, it just isn't all that necessary. 2GB stores a TON of books, and you have access to your all your other archived books via Amazon's Cloud. What you call copyright paranoia, many call convenience and safety. If my device is stolen or destroyed, I can just redownload everything seamlessly via Amazon. It's really no different from what Google does.

If this was a smartphone or tablet, and I want to store a bunch of movies, music, games, etc locally for speed/bandwidth purposes then of course SD cards rule. My tablet and phone both have 32GB microSD cards installed. But I have found that with my singular-purpose Kindle e-reader, I just don't need an SD card.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i was just looking around amazon at the paperwhite yesterday. the thing was $125 at launch and went up in price for some reason. now its back at 120. seems like a great buy for anyone who reads tons of books. 2gb really is more than youd ever need really. itd take many years to read through 2gb of books like a common reader would. i was hoping for some color eink kindle to appear this year. guess the wait will be longer.

bad_student

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I'm not sure if the white speck comment was meant seriously. The white specks are part of the lighting technology.

I do have problems with my touchscreen. I often have to restart it multiple times before the screen becomes responsive. Mine's only a few months old.

Fortunately, I am the kind that likes to have control over what I have purchased, in this case, books. I have plenty of books that are not from Amazon, and I have books from Amazon. If my device is destroyed I can always get my books back from my PC where they're saved on a drive, and copy the whole library on the SD card., as opposed to waiting for the downloads. To me, convenience is having access to my library without needing to be online for that.
Also, what happens when Amazon gets in a pi$$ing contest with an author/another publisher or some other entity over distribution rights? They can always pull the book(s) from the library, and voila! Puff, it's gone from yours as well. Remember "1984" debacle (I believe it was that book)? It can always happen again.

beta212

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

Yes I was, I just sent a picture to amazon support, they agree it's defective.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I knew they were going to release another model soon enough. I hope they actually fixed the leaked lighting issue that occurred with the first model.

Status
Not open for further replies.