New KT266 'Blows Away' AMD760

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Well, there really is a new stepping of the KT266 and the ASUS A7V266 will be one of the first boards to use it!

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/09070112.htm" target="_new">According to The Inquirer</A>, AMD-Europe reports that the A7V266 'blows away' the Gigabyte GA-7DX (AMD760 chipset) which they were using up to now as their testbed motherboard!

Looks as if the production A7V266 has 3 DDR slots (getting rid of the SDR slots that were on the prototype board). I for one consider this to be a smart move by ASUS (IMHO it's stupid to compromise the # of DDR DIMM slots on a DDR board in order to add SDR slots)!

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
It (new stepping) figured - VIA wasn't too thrilled about conceding much of a performance advantage to the SiS735 or nForce.

I totally agree with your comments about the stupidity of dual SDR and DDR DIMM slots on any DDR board. But remember that at that time (March-April), DDR DRAM was still fairly expensive so ASUS probably felt they could sell more boards by accomodating SDR DRAM as well. Now that there is very little, if any, price difference between DDR and SDR, ASUS would be shooting themselves in the foot not to accomodate the KT266's 6-bank capacity for unbuffered memory.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
>> ... now there is very little, if any, price diff between DDR & SDR...

i urge you to think outside america for a little and consider other countries.
over here in australia there IS a big difference still between DDR & SDR.
for example, the shop ive found which is the cheapest around has the following.

256Mb generic PC133 = AU$115
256Mb Kingmax PC150 = AU$145
256Mb generic PC2100 = AU$195 (and i think that was a weekly special too!)
rdram is even worse.

dual DDR/SDR boards still have useful lives elsewhere.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I didn't mean for my post to be inconsiderate of those living outside the US; it's just that I haven't had very much exposure to your (seemingly unfair) DRAM pricing.

One question though, why not order DDR DIMMs from the US (where they sell for about the same price as SDR DIMMs)? They don't weigh very much, so shipping costs shouldn't be too much of a factor!