[SOLVED] New Laptop Advice for Video Editing, Coding & Gaming with under 2000$ budget

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,

1. What is your budget?
2000$ max, ideally less than that.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6 inch or 17.3, if the size makes a difference for cooling performance then the one with better cooling.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 x 1080, ideally 120hz or 144hz monitor. Resolution can be higher if it's not effecting the price too much.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, it will be replacing a 2018 MSI laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
As high as it can get without effecting price too much. I will be using it on battery for work not for gaming.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Low to medium settings, i don't play games that are too taxing on the computer but i really wanna try Witcher 3. I might get a cooler pad just for that game.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Photo/Video editing, coding.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 512gb m.2 SSD, ideally all hard drive space should be SSD since i store my work on the cloud or external hard drive.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I will be moving Austria in February so i think i will be buying from Amazon since i'll have no use for local guarantee. Also if you guys know if the computers you recommend have any international guarantee then do say so, i will really appreciate it.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't want any, i will use an external one if i need so.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I heard real good things about ASUS, i would prefer if you recommend one. Also i am currently using an MSI laptop which i plan to sell if you have any recommendations on how to securely clear the hard drives do say, i have no idea.

13. What country do you live in?
Currently in Turkey, also i need it now so i can't buy it in Austria.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I plan to learn coding on the new pc, if you have any advice on coding i'll appreciate it.

Also if anyone can explain me the difference between RTX and GTX graphics cards and differences they may make at video editing (if any) i will really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Solution
this might be the best option:

https://xoticpc.com/collections/cus...books/products/sager-np7958f1-s-clevo-nh58af1

• 15.6” FHD 144Hz
  • AMD® Ryzen™ 9 3900
  • NVIDIA® RTX™ 2070
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 1TB NVMe SSD
Staying under $2000 you can add color calibration for only $20
2 TB SSD in addition to the 1 TB NVMe would bring you only a little over $2000.
alternately jumping to 64GB RAM would also bring you a little over 2K

that's the Desktop 3900, so not much battery life, but immensely powerful

https://xoticpc.com/collections/cus...books/products/sager-np7958f1-s-clevo-nh58af1

• 15.6” FHD 144Hz
  • AMD® Ryzen™ 9 3900
  • NVIDIA® RTX™ 2070
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 1TB NVMe SSD

Reactions: AlexanderTournier
Solution
Sep 20, 2020

• 15.6” FHD 144Hz
  • AMD® Ryzen™ 9 3900
  • NVIDIA® RTX™ 2070
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 1TB NVMe SSD

Thanks for the recommendation but there are some problems with it.
Cost doesn't include min 260$ shipping and win 10 pro (and bluetooth but i didn't specify it in the post so it's on me).
Also i have never heard of the brand Sager (is it any good?) and it's just a bit too thick and clumsy looking.

Still big thanks for your reply, i really need advice on this i have no idea what i'm doing.