New laptop, blurry screen 1080p - Not text clearness

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I have recently bought a new laptop, Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p, to be exact. It comes with a full HD screen and dual GT 750m's. The screen is really blurry, not only text like I've been reading in many other forums. It seems as though if I were just able to increase sharpness on the laptop it would fix the problem, but I cannot find it anywhere, and I am unable to find any forum to help me with finding a sharpness option. I have these problems only in applications though: Google Chrome, Firefox, League of Legends. The desktop and the start menu I believe it is look fine, could be a little bit clearly, but doable. Is there really anything I am able to do about this? All drivers are up to date, I am 100% sure of this because I just updated them before writing this.

Laptop Specs are:

Intel Core i5 4200M(2.5GHz)
6GB Memory 1TB+8GB SSHD Hybrid Drive
2 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (SLI)
1920 x 1080
Windows 8

Solution
This answer fixed it for me on 2 different laptops. It seems to be something with Windows 8.1 and scaling:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/windows-81-update-blurred-fonts-how-to-fix/22720d9f-a0db-4351-b48e-0d235c0348a0

that machine has 1920x1080 screen, make sure your graphics driver is also set to the same resolution.

if it is set correctly, then you can adjust the clear type text in control panel

(control panel -> appearance and personalization-> display
then select adjust clear type text, ....)

if all else fails you need to download the current driver software for your machine and run its version of control panel app.
- might check your monitor profile also if the above does not work

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

It is set to 1080, and like I said it's not only the text, I've done the cleartext many times and that has only made it worse. As I stated before all drivers are up to date

is the display out of focus while it is booted into BIOS? (ie windows not loaded)
if only blurry in windows see if you can select a different refresh rate: 60/70/72/75Hz to give a better output

have you tried Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution
advanced settings, select color management, tab , advanced and click th "calibrate display" button
and go through the calibration? I have a ICC profile loaded for my monitor and did not calibrate the display

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Bios runs clear and the monitor is set to 60hz which is the only refresh rate it supports. I did the Calibrate Display and everything was already normal there. The icons on the task bar are very clear as well. Everything else looks like I should be wearing glasses to see it clearly. I also just noticed something, when I open certain windows they are much more blurry than previous windows, eg: Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display\Screen Resolution, then advanced settings, everything up until this point is a bit blurry but doable. Then from advanced settings under "adapter" I click properties and everything is about twice as hard to read. Also to the point of being unreadable. Is there a possibility that this laptop just has a bad monitor? On my desktop I have a 1080p LG LED monitor and that looks beautiful in comparison to this. I'm not expecting this laptop to look as good as that, but I just want something that doesn't strain my eyes to try to see.

it can be that you have a panel that has some bad control electronics or even graphics card. I did look up your machine, they make the same model with 5 different LCD screens from several different vendors. I think 1 of the screen types were 1920X1024 but the others were all 1366 x 768 native. I would confirm that it is not your display driver causing the problem. To do this I would boot under the Microsoft default display driver. run MSCONFIG.exe, select boot tab, check the base video option, select apply and reboot and see if you see any screen distortion while in windows (low res). if it looks distorted then I think you have a bad panel, If it looks ok,

Uninstall the installed nvidia drivers(from control panel) and download and install the current nvidia drivers from
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Product type = GeForce
Product series = GeForce 700m series (notebook)
product = GeForce gt 750M

then select your version of OS and do a complete install of the drivers
then run your msconfig again and change the boot option back (unselect base video option and apply then reboot and see if you still have problems.

There are not going to be any direct monitor controls on you screen, but you can tweak settings using the NVIDIA software that will get installed with the full install of drivers+control software.

In the end, if you event suspect it is bad electronics return the device if you can and get a replacement. I have tweaked monitors to get them to work correctly only to have them fail a month or two later when I could not return them place I bought it and had to return it to the manufacture.

acf_200

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
Hi, sorry my english is not so good.. haha, I had the same problem but I found a solution to this:

Right click on Google Chrome or in any blurry application or program.
Then click properties.
Then click compatibility.
Then select "disable display scaling on high DPI settings".
Click "apply" and "ok".
Now open Google Chrome and it is clear!!

You can use this steps with almost any program that is not clear.

seannywannyboy

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
I just got the same laptop today and have the same issue with blurry text. Please advise.

Laptop Specs are:

Intel Core i5 4200M(2.5GHz)
6GB Memory 1TB+8GB SSHD Hybrid Drive
2 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (SLI)
1920 x 1080
Windows 8.1

Hoobajoob

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
This answer fixed it for me on 2 different laptops. It seems to be something with Windows 8.1 and scaling:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/windows-81-update-blurred-fonts-how-to-fix/22720d9f-a0db-4351-b48e-0d235c0348a0

Solution

Vaizri

Reputable
May 14, 2014

I had the same problem as the author of this thread, and this fixed it for me! Thank you, kind stranger!

yeshwanthsagar

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
oh my god , im also having the same problem. my laptop is also lenovo y510p. the fonts in my desktop nd start menu are clearly visible bt the fonts in apllications like google chrome, mozilla firefox ,etc and also in installation wizard.I NOTICED THIS PROBLEM ONLY AFTER UPGRADING MY WINDOWS OS FROM 8 TO 8.1 .the graphic driver is also up to date. I really dont kno wat to do . SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT .

laptop specs:
intel core i7
8gb ram , 1tb hard disk
2gb nvidia geforce gt755m
1920*1080
win 8.

boggz7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I tried a few of the solutions and they helped me perfectly. You may need to run through all of them to get what you need. You can also try to set your resolution to 1080i. I had troubles when I connected my tv to my PC and setting the resolution to 1080i fixed it.

yvrao

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Windows Registry editing fixed the font thickness issue for me completely, we can tune the font thickness/darkness by calibrating FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA value to between 150 and 190 hexadecimal( 336 to 400 decimal )

- START -> RUN -> REGEDIT
- search for FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA by keying " Ctrl F " ( will automatically take us to CurrentUser\ControlPanel\Desktop path)
- double-click mouse on FONTSMOOTHINGGAMMA enter anything between 150 and 190 hexadecimal.(the Lower the value, the thicker the fonts.)
- close the REGEDIT tool
- LOGOFF and then LOGON

Now all the fonts are very thick & very dark in Chrome Browser.

But we must make sure that ClearType smoothing is enabled in Windows( controlPanel -> personalization -> appearance -> Effects -> ClearType smooth check (ticked box) )

OR alternately in RegEdit ...

FONTSMOOTHING=2
FONTSMOOTHINGTYPE=2
FONTSMOOTHINGORIENTATION=1 for LCD-screen, 0 for CRT-screen

netwerkGuy

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
The Lenovo displays has been known to cause permanent blurry-vision. It is believed that sustained use of certain Lenovo products will make u blind. It is suggested to use products from reptuable OEM's. I would dump anything u have with the Lenovo brand if u cherish your vision. If u are old and u don't care, then Lenovo-away ;)

nbregin

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
I have the Y510p with same issue as you described after a fresh install of Windows 8.1. I solved it by going to "Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display" and checking the box for "Let me choose one scaling level for all displays". It requires you to log out/in from the current user or reboot before it will take affect.
I didn't mess with any other options on that page, just the check box. It cleared up all the windows and apps that had blurry text. You could possibly play around with more settings like the scale%, but it worked fine for me how it was at 125%.

Mesca

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015

I also had blurry text but only in certain applications - this fixed it for me! Thanks you so much!

LeeHughes

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

currently have the same problem on my Yoga 500 running Windows 10. I can fix it using the "Properties/Compatibility/Disable Display scaling" but that's a per application setting, im looking for a global setting I can change to fix this. Text on the desktop and in the majority of apps is very sharp and clear but it seems that all installers, browsers and 3rd party apps look like crap.. The other fixes seemed to not have worked for me.

LeeHughes

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
Okay I figured it out, thanks to everyone who posted with solutions. I wasn't sure if some of the solutions would work as I'm running Windows 10 but adjusting the display scaling settings fixed it. For those with Windows 10 this is how you do it:
change%20size.PNG

Load up the Control Panel and in the top right hand corner, type into the "Search Control Panel" box Change Size then from the search results, under Display, click Make text and other items larger or smaller.

Display%20Scaling%20inked.PNG

Then click "set a custom scaling level" which is in blue and underlined. You will then see a window pop up that has Custom sizing options. Mine was set to 125%, so I dropped it to 100% which displays the text at the normal size. Then Clicked OK and finally Apply. It will need to log you out to apply the changes so make sure you save your work first. This fixed the problem for me and I no longer had blurry text. Although the text is much smaller, you'll notice this if you are running at 1920x1080 on a 15in monitor. I'd rather the text to be smaller than look so blurry it was hard to make out.

Thanks to everyone who helped me fix this, it was annoying the hell out of me.

Molbert

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

I just had the same problem as well. I am running windows 10. I checked my resolution scaling by right clicking on the desktop and clicking display settings. There should be a bar that is labeled, "Change the size of text, apps and other items: XXX%" the XXX represents the percent number that it shows. Mine was set to 125% which said it was recommended but several windows showed up blurry. I scaled it down to 100% which immediately fixed the issue.