[SOLVED] New laptop can't access network devices ?

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I've got a new Windows 10 laptop, and I can't access most (but not all) of my network devices fileshares from it ?

I've got 4 devices - 1 QNAP NAS, 2 Windows 10 desktops, and my new Windows 10 laptop. They're all connected with my Microsoft account, and they're all set up on the same WORKGROUP. The Microsoft account is properly synching to the laptop - correct wallpapers, etc.

They are all set up on a Private network in network and sharing / Avast Firewall

I can ping all devices from the laptop

From the laptop, I can see all of the devices in Windows Explorer. However I can only remote desktop to or connect to fileshares on one of the desktops.

When I try to connect to the fileshares on the NAS and the other desktop, I get Error Code 0x80070035

I can connect easily between the desktops and the NAS

I can log on to the NAS console from the laptop

If I run an Avast Wifi Inspector from the desktops, the laptop doesn't appear at all. If I run wifi inspector from the laptop, the other devices show, but not as just the device - either with my email address / microsoft account address after it, or as a library.

I CAN remote desktop into the laptop from both of the desktop devices, however have to use MicrosoftAccount\MSaccountemail to log on - it's not accepting my device logon credentials (which should be the same) - I don't think I get this form of login when remote desktopping between the other machines (but I've almost certainly chosen remember this device)

I am getting firewall warnings from the QNAP NAS when trying to access the fileshares from file explorer - "Failed to log in, user Admin, source IP 192.168.1.blah Connection type FTP. Check the permissions and the connection. Nothing obvious in the QNAP permissions or firewall controls that I can change, and the internal IP address subnet should be allowed through

Anyone got any suggestions, because I'm at a loss now! I have tried a few things, but just seems bizarre now!

Last edited:
Solution
For what it's worth, the issue accessing the second Windows 10 PC turned out to be Avast Remote Access Shield blocking all connections on that device, except 1 IP address, which I suspect was the first Windows 10 PC. Switching off "Block all connections" resolved the problem.

Looks like 2 completely different connectivity problems manifesting in the same way.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
no - get an error code 0x80004005, which is a new one, but hadn't tried connecting to the IP address till now

Same with the Windows 10 PC I still can't access shared folders on.

Should say, network diagnostics don't find any errors either.

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
Been away from home for a week with the laptop, come back, and still having the same issues - everything (PCs, NAS, router, etc) have all been restarted.

I'm on the verge of sending the laptop back and looking to get another one, though not just for the connectivity issues (Photoshop menus on a 13.6" 1080p display take up way too much space, though finally using Lightroom is a decent workaround).

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas before I give up?

EDIT:

OK, so I found this video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG3iND6Ts6k&ab_channel=Britec09

which appears to have resolved the issue of accessing the NAS only. It was the Local Security Policy fix that seems to have solved that problem.

However I still can't access 1 Windows 10 PC on the network. Could it be I need to apply that Local Security Policy fix to that??

Last edited:

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
For what it's worth, the issue accessing the second Windows 10 PC turned out to be Avast Remote Access Shield blocking all connections on that device, except 1 IP address, which I suspect was the first Windows 10 PC. Switching off "Block all connections" resolved the problem.

Looks like 2 completely different connectivity problems manifesting in the same way.

Solution