New Laptop - "check media fail" and then "No bootable devices"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaveNotAClue

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Hi there, having a little problem with a relatives new laptop. She just bought a Toshiba Satellite C850-1KN running Windows 8.
The first day was fine; did setup and installed basic programs.
However the next day it ended up in a repair loop saying "Toshiba is searching for a solution..etc" and then restarting.
And now when we turn on the computer it comes up with a black screen saying "Check media" followed by "fail" after a few seconds. And then it says "No bootable devices"
I don't really know how to proceed. My thinking is that it can't recognise the HDD. I can get into the BIOS but that's about it.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks kindly

Zooshooter

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
You are correct. The BIOS can no longer recognize the hard drive as a bootable device. This could be for a number of reasons. Your best bet, if it is still under warranty, is going to be to bring it back to where you purchased it. They should be able to either fix it quickly, or replace the hard drive in the event that the hard drive has failed mechanically and can't be fixed through software.

Netsanet Getnet

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013

===============
Go to BIOS, look for something that says "System Configuration ..." and change the boot mode, then restart your computer and it will work.

good luck,

bluboy484

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

thanks Turanphoenix, this worked for me

h_saad

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

Thanks, this worked for me and no i am able to install my windows.
Good job.

bonee8

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

reply to that
in boot mode is not active at all I cant change the values

beni91

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014

Have the same problem, but it doesn't allow me to select "BOOT MODE", it just skips that option :(

Carterk76

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Please forgive my ignorance but what is bios, I have the same issue with my sisters laptop and I am trying to see if I can fix it. I have no idea how to get to bios. Your help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Kim

littlemayo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

Bios a preliminary system that initializes before your OS, loads and checks basic hardware configuration, such as keyboard, memory, date/time , hard drives..etc.
anyways, your sololution would be this one:
restart the computer, press F2 to access the Bios...disable "Secure Boot" then follow this instructions:

Go to BIOS, look for something that says "System Configuration ..." and change the boot mode, then restart your computer and it will work.

Carterk76

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I am now being asked what the hdd/sdd password is???

Bios a preliminary system that initializes before your OS, loads and checks basic hardware configuration, such as keyboard, memory, date/time , hard drives..etc.
anyways, your sololution would be this one:
restart the computer, press F2 to access the Bios...disable "Secure Boot" then follow this instructions:

[/quotemsg]

Abstract1337

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
First....

Load bios by pressing F12 find "Secure boot" option and disable it....

Second

G to advanced/system configuration/boot mode
Change it to CSM Boot..

and your cds should boot :)

Mandy79

Reputable
May 14, 2014
The exact same thing happened to me after following these steps too. :(

Michael vaslikax

Reputable
May 26, 2014
hii there my name is michael vaslikax,a self empoleyed IT,if certainly you have this problem [
New Laptop - "check media fail" and then "No bootable devices" ] basically this is most a commonly Toshiba problem....i would like to analayse some few tips for you on how to solve this problem
******check media"and then"No bootable device found""******
first you should have an external cd rom inorder to boot because you mashine has failed to determine an internal bootable device
secondly you have to remove to remove an internal rom on your mashine
third connect an external cd rom on your mashine with usb cables
fourth reboot your mashine and put a window cd on the external rom.....
thank you if this articles was real helpful please follow me on my blogspot.....momik2.blogspot.com

babsnkaks

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

the "boot mode" is idle. pls how can I make accessible?

Samuel Mbindyo

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
Changing the boot mode to CSM works!!!!! :bounce:

On Boot....press F2 to access BIOS and disable secure boot then on advanced>system configuration enable CMS boot!!

You can now boot from CDs and USB as well as HDD!!!

Alex Ferreira

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
If that is a new laptop with warranty just go to store and make them solve it! It may have a faulty hard disk!

If not:
As said in Samuel Mbindyo's comment. When you disable "secure boot" the option to change boot type will be available, change from UEFI to CMS mode. Then press F10 to exit saving changes.

If this don´t solve the problem and hard disk is still not available there must be a problem. It can be corrupted windows startup, damaged hard disk or connetion between disk and motherboard.

desertking

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014

hello i have same problem but in advanced boot mode is UEFI boot and i can't arrive to change this it's in grey colour i don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.