New Laptop, clone SSD

bskiballin3

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
Hello everyone.

Ordered one of the new xps 15's to replace my 2013 inspiron.
I have a SSD in the inspiron, the new xps is coming with a 1tb hard drive.
I want to have the SSD in the XPS.
What is the best way to go about doing this?
I'm not trying to copy everything that is on my current laptop to my new one, i just want the SSD in the XPS, basically like it just came with it originally. Then I want to put what was on the SSD, onto the 1tb, and put it back in the inspiron for a backup.

As of right now this is what I think I need to do and someone correct me if I am wrong.
1. clone ssd to an extra hard drive, not either of these.
2. clone the 1tb in the xps to the ssd.
3. copy the original ssd files that i moved to extra hard drive back onto the 1tb and install in inspiron.

Solution
1. Place the SSD into an external USB enclosure and connect it to the Dell.
2. Copy your files to the 1TB HD.
3. Download the cloning software for your SSD from the manufacturer and clone the 1TB to the SSD
4. Remove the 1TB and install the SSD in it's place.
5. If all went well it is done

If you don't want to muck about with changing permissions and security settings to copy your files. Copy your files onto a Flash Drive, External HD, Punch Cards, Tape Drive, &c. Then transfer to the 1TB. Skip step 2.

Once everything is cloned and you are sure it is working fine.
- Place 1TB into external enclosure
- Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Managemnt
- Delete all partitions and format the drive with one...
1. Place the SSD into an external USB enclosure and connect it to the Dell.
2. Copy your files to the 1TB HD.
3. Download the cloning software for your SSD from the manufacturer and clone the 1TB to the SSD
4. Remove the 1TB and install the SSD in it's place.
5. If all went well it is done

If you don't want to muck about with changing permissions and security settings to copy your files. Copy your files onto a Flash Drive, External HD, Punch Cards, Tape Drive, &c. Then transfer to the 1TB. Skip step 2.

Once everything is cloned and you are sure it is working fine.
- Place 1TB into external enclosure
- Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Managemnt
- Delete all partitions and format the drive with one partition
- Use the backup program of your choice. I prefer using FreeFileSync and the Mirror option. Although it is something you manually run and is considerably more difficult to setup. I have found it to be the most reliable option for backing up in Windows. Every other backup program I've ever setup seems to have a flaw that crops up over time causing the automatic backup to fail.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS