Question New laptop CPU overheating?

May 29, 2023
Hi all,

I've tried four new laptops this month:

1. Asus TUF with Intel Core i7 12650H Alder Lake
2. HP Victus with AMD Ryzen 5 5600H
3. Lenovo Legion Pro 5 with Intel Core i9 13900HX Raptor Lake
4. Asus Vivobook with AMD Ryzen 7 7730U

Same thing happened with each one. The fans got very loud even though I wasn't doing anything much - just a few open tabs in Firefox. I ran HWMonitor and always saw CPU temperatures above 90°C.

The Lenovo laptop while typing this question:
aUGvo3J.png

The first Asus while installing Hogwarts Legacy:
FiAV2f7.png

The same Asus while playing Hogwarts Legacy on lowest graphics settings (without cooling pad):
d9jx2uk.png

According to this article: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/how-to-check-cpu-temp-temperature
'When the CPU is idle, a good temperature is anything under or around 50C.' and 'Under load, you want your CPU to ideally stay under 80C'. I'm not sure if these numbers are accurate, but as you can see, mine were a lot higher. My previous laptop (Acer with Intel Core i7 4702MQ) started behaving this way when it was a little over a year old and then it declined rapidly. These days it can barely run a 15 year old game.

I understand that a cooling pad is probably necessary for gaming, but surely not for regular work? I could hardly bring a cooling pad with me every day to my Uni lectures (or have my laptop roaring like a wounded animal during them). So what's going on here? Did I choose a wrong laptop (four times in a row)? Do all laptops overheat these days and I can't expect them to last any longer than the 2/3-year warranty? Or am I reading the data wrong and these temperatures are actually fine (but then, what about the loud fans)?