[SOLVED] New Laptop cpu temps jumping.

Aug 23, 2019
I just got a new laptop not even 3 days ago. It’s a Dell G3 15” gaming laptop. After setting things up I checked out AlienWareCC . It’s shows me all my clock speeds and temps for CPU,GPU etc. One thing I noticed was that my cpu on idle with nothing going on was around 50-60. But it wasn’t even a stable 50. It would jump down to 40then up then down every second . So I decided to try a game and after only 8 min of playing league of legends my temps weee around 80 but still jumping up and down. I checked the temp history and it even showed it hit 100!!!? I tried using HWInfo and it was showing the same temps. Should I return it to dell and get it replaced or is this just not accurate and everything is fine?

Solution
The 8th and 9th gen chips run hot on laptops. Had a laptop with a 8750h. Undervolted and used Thermal Grizzly kryonaut and was able to drop about 10-15C off the core. Returning it and getting a different one won't make a difference. Take it somewhere to get it repasted and lookup how to undervolt.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to specify the SKU to your Dell laptop in order for us to scope out it's specs. You will also need to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop. If you don't know what to look for, we're still going to need the SKU to your laptop to locate the support page.

Some have even done undervolting to curb the heating issues and prolong battery life on their laptops(regardless of manufacturer).

pokeplayz

Prominent
Aug 19, 2018
I also have the same issue and even with undervolting at -125mV on the CPU Core and Cache the temps still reach up to around 95 and jump around between 80-95 during stress testing. Same laptop, dell G3 15 3590, more than likely OP and I both have the same processor, i7-9750H.

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
The 8th and 9th gen chips run hot on laptops. Had a laptop with a 8750h. Undervolted and used Thermal Grizzly kryonaut and was able to drop about 10-15C off the core. Returning it and getting a different one won't make a difference. Take it somewhere to get it repasted and lookup how to undervolt.

Reactions: Mcleese902
Solution

pokeplayz

Prominent
Aug 19, 2018
What kind of shops or well-known professionals would you recommend for repasting?