[SOLVED] New laptop experiencing ping spikes whilst gaming

Jan 5, 2021
Hi, my previous laptop had no issues whilst gaming over WiFi regardless of bandwidth usage on other devices in the house.

Whilst online gaming over WiFi and with someone else using Netflix wirelessly, my new laptop, an Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 G401IV, has ping spikes every few minutes that sometimes last a few seconds.

The problem goes away when Netflix is not being watched but this has never been an issue in the past. My router is an Asus RT-AX55 Wi-Fi 6 AX1800 Dual-band, is there anything I can do in the new laptop or router to remain wireless like before?

Thanks

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update. Then make sure your OS is to the latest version as well. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. You can then look towards your router and see if that has any firmware updates pending.

Uninstall your wireless adapter's drivers. You can source the drivers for you wireless adapter from Asus's support site and then reinstall the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make sure your laptop is on the latest BIOS update. Then make sure your OS is to the latest version as well. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. You can then look towards your router and see if that has any firmware updates pending.

Uninstall your wireless adapter's drivers. You can source the drivers for you wireless adapter from Asus's support site and then reinstall the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Solution