New laptop for gaming and school, max 2000$

larsulf

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hi!

I'm an architecture student who needs a new computer, who can handle renderings and programs such as photoshop, and other adobe package stuff. In addition I'd like it to have some decent gaming performance.
I've been looking at several different options, like Razer Blade or MSI GS65, but I've read about some issues regarding build quality.

The one I'm looking at right now is a Lenovo Y740
  • INTEL CORE I7 (8. GEN) 8750H / 2.2 GHZ
  • 16 GB DDR4
  • 512 GB NVME SSD
  • RTX 2060 6GB
  • 15.6" IPS 144HZ G-SYNC

It's been a while since I knew the hardware game, and I'm completely lost in all the different options, and hardware. My biggest criteria is that it will look kinda sleek and not gamer like. So not one of those clumpy gamer laptops. From what I've read the 2060 is more worth than the 2070, though I dont know how they compare towards the older versions (1070, 1080 etc.).

All help would be appreciated!

Oh, and my budget is max 2000$.

Lutfij

Titan
The thing is, with your specific needs, you will need to look into workstation grade/business laptops which are equipped with a workstation GPU. They are excellent for rendering and the stuff you'd want to do as a student of architecture but they are horrible when you want to game on them. A good balance would be to go for a RTX2060(with today's tech) but you're essentially looking at a gaming laptop as opposed to a professionals laptop. You're also in the ball park range of buying an Apple Macbook Pro but they are horrible with gaming and they lack storage options.

You could also look into Asus's Zenbook's of the highest spec or Dell's XPS or Inspiron series though they tend to be brittle in terms of build quality(Dell's, not Asus).