Question New laptop for kids

MStick

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Hi all,

In the market for a new laptop for my older kids and I thought I'd ask advice as I've been out of the game for a while. The last PC I built was 7 years ago and it's still going strong, but I got vetoed by the wife on building another PC for the kids as it takes up too much space. Ideally, I want something that will last a number of years.

1. What is your budget? $1000 or so, though I'm purchasing outside of the US (will be a markup) so let's say this is the budget provided I would be purchasing from the US

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Screen size isn't too important - I'd prefer to keep the laptop closed and use my old Dell U2312 (23" monitor). My old laptop was a 17" so I imagine 15.6" - 17" would be fine.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Not sure, 1920 x 1080? It's what I currently have on my monitor and it seems fine.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacing

5. How much battery life do you need? Not an issue as it won't be mobile (at least not much)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I'll say Medium as even the games they currently play aren't too graphically intensive but I would like the laptop to remain relevant 3-4 years from now at least.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Gaming is probably the most intensive task that will happen.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I'd like the OS to be on an SSD with applications on a HDD. On my desktop I currently have a 256GB for iOS and a 1TB HDD which is enough, so I imagine something similar

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Nothing specific, though I used to buy my parts from newegg - once I find a good model I'll shop around in local sites if shipping prices to me aren't exorbitant.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years or so

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Nothing specific.. USB ports should suffice

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference. I've had good experience with ASUS but I didn't marry them. If I did, maybe I'd be building a desktop.

13. What country do you live in? Israel

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I'll be purchasing an external speaker, laptop + mouse, using the monitor, so from my perspective the laptop can be closed most of the time (or used as a second screen). I'll probably get a laptop cooler pad as well to keep it as cool as possible to help it last longer. The gaming that will done probably won't be super high end stuff - for games they play it's important for me to have solid FPS than graphics, so I'm looking more for something stable and reliable than a beast that can play everything on ultra settings.

Last edited:
A desktop PC in your case is way better, you should really re-visit that option. The space it takes up, it is a very odd living area that can't fit a small computer tower. Unless the laptop will be moved around to be used in different areas for gaming, desktop has many advantages from being cheaper to being more reliable and less likely to be dropped and cracked thus losing your $1,000.

Ask your wife if spending a meter of space somewhere is worth the draw-backs of a laptop.

A mini ITX or micro ATX setup is pretty compact, and for your budget you can have some fun with the kids picking out parts and getting some RGB fans/strips in the thing.

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-H210-Management-Water-Cooling-Construction/dp/B07T94W9YS?ref_=ast_sto_dp

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...HG3ZSNJ6NPV&psc=1&refRID=DAEF3Y6RTHG3ZSNJ6NPV

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0785GRMP...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMRGV6...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited:

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
It makes sense to ask the age of your kids because if your kids are less than 10, I don't think offering them a laptop or a desktop would make a lot of sense. Instead, you can go for a smart tablet for your kids and the market is filled with a lot of such products that are specifically meant for the kids. For instance, my brother just got a Fire HD 10 Tab for his daughter who is in 5th grade and it solves a majority of her educational needs. Powered by a MediaTek SoC, this tab also has a long battery life and comes with a year subscription of kids' content from cartoons to the educational content. Besides, there are parental controls so that you can keep a track of what your kids are watching. And with a 2 year warranty, this tab was just $199 in price. I think offering such products to the kids, which are portable enough, makes a lot of sense. I hope you get my point.

It makes sense to ask the age of your kids because if your kids are less than 10, I don't think offering them a laptop or a desktop would make a lot of sense. Instead, you can go for a smart tablet for your kids and the market is filled with a lot of such products that are specifically meant for the kids. For instance, my brother just got a Fire HD 10 Tab for his daughter who is in 5th grade and it solves a majority of her educational needs. Powered by a MediaTek SoC, this tab also has a long battery life and comes with a year subscription of kids' content from cartoons to the educational content. Besides, there are parental controls so that you can keep a track of what your kids are watching. And with a 2 year warranty, this tab was just $199 in price. I think offering such products to the kids, which are portable enough, makes a lot of sense. I hope you get my point.

Read the requirements for the system, there is talk about gaming on it, mention of "older kids", and a replacement for a desktop system (meaning versatile and with some speed).