Question new laptop for work or gaming?

exoterra

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hi everybody, looking for some laptop buying advice. Thanks in advance!

In short, I'm looking for some kind of hybrid laptop with the ability to perform as a gaming machine but the compactness, usability, and battery life of a business laptop.
Being able to play new Assassin's Creed games, have 40+ chrome tabs open while running smoothly, or have ~10 hours of battery life when just doing work stuff and I'm sold.

Following the format from the pinned post:
1. What is your budget?
~$1,500 but flexible

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Nothing smaller than 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter, everything in my budget is going to be good enough

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
No

5. How much battery life do you need?
~10 hrs (basically a workday, but I'll also have a portable charger)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
New Assassin's Creed games on high settings preferably

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Minor amounts (like beginner level) of photo/video editing, nothing heavy like full on graphic design

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 512GB and has to be SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Indifferent about where to buy

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Couple years at least, be great if it operates at max capability for longer than that, but I've rarely had a laptop last much more than 2 years before it gets slow and laggy

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No optical drive necessary but never hurts to have a burner

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Prefer Asus, MSi, Gigabyte -- have had too many negative experiences with Dell, HP, and Lenovo

13. What country do you live in?
US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Most recently I had an Asus Zenbook 15 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VF8SK6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I liked almost everything about the zenbook except even after just a few months of use, it started getting really slow if I had too many chrome tabs open.
Being able to do heavy multitasking without the computer slowing down is probably the most important thing after battery life to me.
And before that an MSI ROG https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834154623?Item=N82E16834154623
This thing was great but the battery life was garbage.

Last edited:
No gaming laptop will have very good battery life, but they all will have the option to run in lower power mode to increase battery life (dropping CPU speed, using integrated video, dimming the screen). If battery life is your #1 issue, don't get a system for games. There is probably nothing wrong with your zenbook that a clean Windows setup won't fix. Computers don't just decide to run slower, it's always a software issue, either some update causes driver issues, you end up with too many programs running at startup, viruses, spyware, etc..