New laptop HDD painfully slow

Yous

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
I bought a Dell 7577 laptop a few months ago and ever since I got it I have felt like the HDD is slower than even my older 6 year old laptop. I always loaded last in the games I played with others, even compared to my friends with really low spec laptops. A lot of the time it is locked at 100 percent usage for no apparent reason and it is overall extremely slow. It has gotten worse lately and it is so bad that it takes me over 10 minutes to load into a battlefield 1 game and when I'm in game it is locked at 100 percent usage most of the time and the game constantly stutters and freezes due to that.

I ran all kinds of tests on the harddrive and they all come out perfectly fine, which made me run into problems with the warranty service center as they keep telling me that all tests they ran turned out okay, but it just doesn't appear like the HDD is okay, at all.

Here's my laptop's configuration:

i7 7700HQ
8 GB RAM
GTX 1050 Ti
1 TB Seagate Firecuda (ST1000LX015)

The HDD also makes this noise, which I'm not sure is normal. I don't think so.

CrystalDiskMark: https://imgur.com/a/xXi5dvZ (also very slow an average compared to similar hard drives)

I haven't been able to find any other explanation other than the hard drive is faulty, so I would appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

Yous

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014

Thank you for your response! I'll do that, but can you confirm whether the noise coming out of the hard drive is normal or not meanwhile? I'd appreciate that.

EDIT: Also, is the test you're referring to the 'long generic' test?

Yous

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
The test has been running for about 5 hours now and it's at 41 percent. The application just showed an error message saying that the test is taking way longer than it should've, and it could be caused by the HDD being used for other things even though I have not been using my laptop. I'm going to let it finish but clearly this hard drive is very slow.

Yous

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
I let the test run overnight and it seems that it passed, yet it gave the same message somewhere through saying that it's taking longer than it should. What could be causing such slow speeds for this harddrive?