[SOLVED] New Laptop is performing worse than it should

Jul 20, 2021
So I recently needed to buy a new laptop because my other one broke, and after some time I found an RTX 3060 laptop for a great price, which is way better than my previous GTX 1650 laptop. I watched reviews on everything that the GPU offered and the CPU was better than my old laptop. After finally getting it and testing it out it seems to perform at the same level as my old one if not worse.

On my old laptop Minecraft ran at about 200-300fps with certain settings, I put the same settings on the new one and it rans at 50-70fps which is quite astonishing. I then tested Assassin's Creed Odyssey at Ultra High and Very High and they were both 30fps, while online I saw the same 95W laptop GPU running Odyssey at over 60-70fps can someone please help me discover what is wrong.

I play plugged in.

I have set my Nvidia card to run globally.

USERBENCHMARK:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44776078

Solution
no. single channel wouldn't drop performance to such levels.
make sure windows doesn't have any updates by manually checking for them.
make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your GPU from Nvidia website.
Try restarting the PC.

Beyond that, check thermals when gaming, see if they are excessively hot.

That's about all I can say to look into.

Btw, you said you checked a lot of reviews, but it sounds like you looked into the hardware itself and not specifically laptop variants, nor did you do research on the specific laptop config you have, and whether or not this exact laptop is cheaply and poorly designed or not, especially in regards to things like power delivery and thermals for the components within.

But if you did...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you need to make sure you set Windows power plan settings to High Performance.
Also, should make sure you have high performance as your preferred power option in Global settings for the GPU in Nvidia control panel.

Aside from those two things, I can't initially or immediately say why you have low performance. I would need physical access to your system to troubleshoot further.

Jul 20, 2021
you need to make sure you set Windows power plan settings to High Performance.
Also, should make sure you have high performance as your preferred power option in Global settings for the GPU in Nvidia control panel.

Aside from those two things, I can't initially or immediately say why you have low performance. I would need physical access to your system to troubleshoot further.
I have done those things, is it possible for it to be my single channel ram?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your GPU from Nvidia website.
Try restarting the PC.

Btw, you said you checked a lot of reviews, but it sounds like you looked into the hardware itself and not specifically laptop variants, nor did you do research on the specific laptop config you have, and whether or not this exact laptop is cheaply and poorly designed or not, especially in regards to things like power delivery and thermals for the components within.

But if you did actually look into reviews of this exact laptop and those reviews all said good things, then I guess you just worded things wrong in your original post.

Solution
Jul 20, 2021
single channel ram can not reduce the performance that much.
Yeah I really dont understand why its performing like this even without certain performance settings on each should be performing much better. Are their any niche reasons for a new laptop to be doing this like drivers?

Try using DDU in safe mode to remove your current GPU drivers and re-install the latest ones.
Also look at your Laptop thermals.

If that doesnt help. I recommend a windows re-install. I dont know what it is with this horrible operating system. My friend was also having stutters and framedrops on his laptop and I re-installed windows and drivers on it. Now he thinks I did magic because all of his issues fixed themselves.

Jul 20, 2021
Try restarting the PC.

But if you did actually look into reviews of this exact laptop and those reviews all said good things, then I guess you just worded things wrong in your original post.
Yeah sorry that was poorly worded the reviews I saw about this specific PC never really had anything bad to say about it. My thermals seem fine but sometimes I can see the integrated graphics being used even when Ive set my nvidia gpu globally. Everything is up-to-date.

Jul 20, 2021
Try using DDU in safe mode to remove your current GPU drivers and re-install the latest ones.
Also look at your Laptop thermals.

If that doesnt help. I recommend a windows re-install. I dont know what it is with this horrible operating system. My friend was also having stutters and framedrops on his laptop and I re-installed windows and drivers on it. Now he thinks I did magic because all of his issues fixed themselves.
will try it, will get back if it helps. thanks

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
will try it, will get back if it helps. thanks

Likely the new laptop has all kinds of annoying software installed on it by the manufacturer. Performing a clean install of windows and manually installing only the drivers and software you need normally helps a lot. Make sure you visit the manufacturer's website and download the latest versions of all the drivers for your specific laptop, but don't install any of their "tools" or "utilities".

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Yeah sorry that was poorly worded the reviews I saw about this specific PC never really had anything bad to say about it. My thermals seem fine but sometimes I can see the integrated graphics being used even when Ive set my nvidia gpu globally. Everything is up-to-date.
I hope you understand that there are two settings.
If you set power mode/performance preference correctly in Nvidia control panel, that is only one step.
The other step is to make sure you correctly set up power plan options in Windows Power Settings.
Leaving it on balanced or battery saver will force the PC to use the iGPU for certain things to save power.

Make sure you don't have any crap bloatware software that is installed and running from the laptop maker that has the ability to change power plan options and performance settings, as such programs can interfere and override whatever settings you do manually elsewhere in the system

And as literally just stated by the user above me as I was typing this, I personally do a clean install of Windows on any machine I get, regardless, so that way I can be in control of what does and does not get installed and configured with the system.

Jul 20, 2021
Likely the new laptop has all kinds of annoying software installed on it by the manufacturer. Performing a clean install of windows and manually installing only the drivers and software you need normally helps a lot. Make sure you visit the manufacturer's website and download the latest versions of all the drivers for your specific laptop, but don't install any of their "tools" or "utilities".
Have done this and have uninstalled all those popup apps that come preinstalled

Jul 20, 2021
I hope you understand that there are two settings.
If you set power mode/performance preference correctly in Nvidia control panel, that is only one step.
The other step is to make sure you correctly set up power plan options in Windows Power Settings.
Leaving it on balanced or battery saver will force the PC to use the iGPU for certain things to save power.

Make sure you don't have any crap bloatware software that is installed and running from the laptop maker that has the ability to change power plan options and performance settings, as such programs can interfere and override whatever settings you do manually elsewhere in the system

And as literally just stated by the user above me as I was typing this, I personally do a clean install of Windows on any machine I get, regardless, so that way I can be in control of what does and does not get installed and configured with the system.
Yes both the nvidia panel and windows settings have been set to high performance and have uninstalled bloatware, will reinstall windows and test things and respond

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
This looks like Nvidia Optimus issue. Just download geforce experience and perform clean driver install with all components
He already said he hasn't downloaded chipset or power management drivers, which Windows Update doesn't do for most laptops, or even if it does you lose most performance features. It's vital to install those drivers on a laptop clean install.