Question New Laptop (Lenovo Y540) with an audio desync issue. (DPC Latency Maybe?)

SurrealDelight

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
I seem to be having an issue where as I keep a video playing, the audio gradually desyncs with the video. This happens both with headphones on and just with the regular laptop speakers. Here are the things I've tried doing.System Specs
  • Lenovo Legion Y540
  • CPU: i5-9300h
  • GPU: GTX 1660ti
  • RAM: 8GB 2666Mhz
  • Storage: 256GB M.2. SSD
What I've tried doing:
  1. Reinstalling the Audio Driver. The first thing I did was uninstall the audio driver and let Windows install it again. There are a few drivers for audio, but the only one I uninstalled and reinstalled is the Realtek(R) Audio one. Either way, this didn't fix anything.
  2. Making sure drivers/BIOS were up to date. I did this by checking the versions of drivers in the device manager and making sure they were all up to date. Everything seemed up to date with what Lenovo had to offer. I also updated the Nvidia graphics drivers, since some people said this solved their problems.
  3. Setting Minimum Power Usage with the Power Plan to 100%. This seems to be a fix that works for a lot of people, but it didn't work for me. I just set the minimum power usage while on battery/plugged in to 100% just to see if it would work (default value is 5%). I've since set this back to 5% since having my CPU work at 100% no matter what seems like a bad idea.
  4. Checking DPC with DPC Latency Checker and LatencyMon. This is where I think the problem is, but I don't know for sure and I have no clue how I would go about tackling this problem. Here is the graph I got from DPC Latency Checker, and here are the results from LatencyMon. LatencyMon says that maybe dxgkrnl.sys is the culprit, but I've also read that this is just a red herring most of the time. If this really is a DPC issue, I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me any clue on how to tackle this.
I'd appreciate anyone's help with this. Either way, I'm going to try and keep this post updated with other things I've tried in case someone else stumbles across this in the future. It's pretty infuriating not being able to play games/watch videos because of audio latency issues.

UPDATE ONE: I left LatencyMon running for an hour to get more of a feel of what the DPC was like, and here are the final results. I definitely think this is a DPC Latency issue now, would just like to know how to solve it. Here is the report LatencyMon gave me if anyone can interpret it for me as well.

UPDATE TWO: I booted into safe mode to try and use LatencyMon, but it doesn't work in safe mode I guess. Regardless, I played a video for about 15 minutes (enough time for the audio to desync on regular windows) and it seemed to be working without any sync problems. Since safe mode disables a whole lot of drivers, I'm pretty convinced now that this is a DPC issue.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS