[SOLVED] New laptop memory only working when old dimm is installed.

Mar 2, 2021
I made some upgrades to my old Lenovo E50, I took great care of buying the correct RAM, which happens to be DRR3L, so, 1.35V, I managed to get a new 8GB dimm and decided to remove the old RAM completely, but to my surprise the laptop didn’t boot, I am a bit older and shaky so opened the machine and removed the RAM cleaned the contracts and firmly replaced it, again the machine did not boot, I tested the RAM in another laptop, it works fine. Then it got weird, I put the old 4GB dimm back and then also decided to put the new 8GB dimm in and the machine started fine, I am at a loss, can anyone explain to me why the old dimm needs to remain in the machine for the one to work?

Solution
Tank you for all the relies. After another day of struggling, I am returning the RAM to the manufacturer as faulty this morning will post an update.
The laptop specks are: Lenovo E50-80 model 80J2, I have Windows 10 Pro as an OS, if that helps.

When Windows starts with both dimms installed, it recognizes 12GB of RAM.
It's not faulty ram if both sticks work just not dual channel with both they aren't compatible. The single stick is forcing the second to run in spec

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you parse an SKU or a link to the exact model for your laptop? You might want to see if your laptop has any BIOS updates pending. Make sure to gradually work your way to the latest as opposed to jumping to the latest version if you have a number of them to go through.

What OS and version are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)? Got a link to the stick you purchased and a picture to the stick of ram you had bundled with the laptop?

I made some upgrades to my old Lenovo E50, I took great care of buying the correct RAM, which happens to be DRR3L, so, 1.35V, I managed to get a new 8GB dimm and decided to remove the old RAM completely, but to my surprise the laptop didn’t boot, I am a bit older and shaky so opened the machine and removed the RAM cleaned the contracts and firmly replaced it, again the machine did not boot, I tested the RAM in another laptop, it works fine. Then it got weird, I put the old 4GB dimm back and then also decided to put the new 8GB dimm in and the machine started fine, I am at a loss, can anyone explain to me why the old dimm needs to remain in the machine for the one to work?
Even though it's ddr3l dosn't mean it's compatible with the mobo right

With both sticks installed how much memory does the machine show?

And the fact that he said the two stick work fine i would assumee it shows all 12gbs if it's working fine.... The issues are the two new sticks together.
The op said nothing about 2 new sticks.
'I put the old 4GB dimm back and then also decided to put the new 8GB dimm in and the machine started fine, '

The machine may not even see this 8GB stick.
Which is why I wondered what the OS saw for ram amount.

Mar 2, 2021
Tank you for all the relies. After another day of struggling, I am returning the RAM to the manufacturer as faulty this morning will post an update.
The laptop specks are: Lenovo E50-80 model 80J2, I have Windows 10 Pro as an OS, if that helps.

It's not faulty ram if both sticks work just not dual channel with both they aren't compatible. The single stick is forcing the second to run in spec

Solution