Question New Laptop: Office, Surfing, Streaming - 15 to 17 inches - onboard graphics - light/ultrabook style --> 500€ budget?

skaeppler

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Hi there,

shortly before Amazon Prime Day(s) I am trying to find a new notebook for home use. (for my wife to be exact)
Device will be used mostly for surfing and a bit of office work (license already available). In rare cases streaming (Amazon Prime obviously) will be also a use case.

Spec-wise we are talking something like this:
  • 15 to 17 inches screen-size
  • "ultra-book" style (I have seen laptops with 1,5 cm height, that would be nice)
  • light weight --> old notebook is 2,7 kg, new one should be less than 2, more like 1,5 kg
  • onboard-graphics is enough, no dedicated GPU needed
  • Windows 10 installed
  • have used intel CPUs for years, never had a problem, so i3 or i5 would be nice --> exception: if AMD offers same performance/features for less money
  • 4GB RAM, 8GB if budget allows
  • 128GB SSD, more if budget allows
  • hdmi for connection to TV or monitor if needed
  • LAN port
  • WLAN (of course)
  • 2-3 USB ports (3.0 or even 2.0 would do if that matters)
  • dedicated num-pad-keys would be nice
Budget:

Is the above doable with a 500€ budget? Less is of course appriciated, as the device will not be the main working device in our house.
If not, what had to be scaled down to hit the budget?

Hope you can give me a hint into the right direction.
Thank you very much in advance!

Sebastian

The biggest problem with your budget is weight. Most of the systems under 500€ weigh 2.5 to 3 kg. Except ones which are absolute junk. I did find a few which stand out. 600€ would get you more options. Another option is to get one without Windows. They'll have some Linux variant. Which you can then replace by formatting the drive and installing Windows 10. You can go with running it for free and live with a watermark and no personalization options or get a cheap grey market license off Kinguin.net.

Here is an ASUS F505ZA which meets your requirements. (Second fastest, lightest and best battery)
  • Ryzen 3 2200u
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • 1.68 kq
  • 15,6" 1920x1080
  • 42 wh battery
  • Windows 10
  • 499€
If you are willing to install Windows 10 yourself. This ASUS X540UA (Great extreme budget option)
  • i3-7020u
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • ~1.90 kq (varies by configuration)
  • 15,6" 1920x1080
  • 33 wh battery
  • Linux
  • 369€
Another faster ASUS X540UA (Fastest in list)
  • i5-8250u
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • ~1.90 kq (varies by configuration)
  • 15,6" 1920x1080
  • 33 wh battery
  • Linux
  • 499€
Lenovo V130
  • i3-7020u
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • 1,8 kq
  • 15,6" 1920x1080
  • 30 wh battery
  • Windows 10
  • 479€

Please note: I have not checked online reviews of these models. I'm also unfamiliar with these resellers. I found them in the Worldwide Online Computer Parts Stores thread. I went with German stores. Mainly since I've noticed as far as EU options go. Germany seems to have better options. At least when looking at PCPartpicker.com results.

TRENDING THREADS