[SOLVED] New Laptop Overheating

CloverZ

Reputable
Dec 21, 2020
Hi,

I bought a new MSI GF65-10SDR laptop, and the CPU temperature reach upto 96-97 degrees when playing Cyberpunk on Ultra settings. On lowest settings it peaks at 89-90 degrees. When idle, it stays around 45 degrees but randomly goes to 77 degrees and then returns back to 45 degrees. Also, in LoL, the CPU temp goes to ~94 degrees. Is it normal/safe ?

Last edited:
Solution
@ OP - some gaming
Thanks guys. @keith12 , 69 degrees with cooling pad ? My laptop, without any cooling pad and when lying flat on a table, has GPU temperature around 80 degrees. This is when cpu turbo boost is on, power plan is Ultimate High Performance, no undervolting. I tried running Intel XTU but clock and voltage controls are disabled.

So the CPU and GPU chips are literally separated by about 2-3 inches inside the case (underneath cooling system). When one gets hot the other tends to heat up as well. So if your rocking an 4ghz all core and the CPU is running hot, the GPU will heat up perhaps more than usual.

So, I use throttlestop on my system. It's has more options, but it relatively easy to use.

As it stands, I...

CloverZ

Reputable
Dec 21, 2020
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Although The Power Throttling and Thermal Throttling is quite annoying. When I turn off turbo boost, Power throttling, Current throttling and Thermal throttling stops, and temperature maxes out at ~70 degrees.

Hi,

I bought a new MSI GF65-10SDR laptop, and the CPU temperature reach upto 96-97 degrees when playing Cyberpunk on Ultra settings. On lowest settings it peaks at 89-90 degrees. When idle, it stays around 45 degrees but randomly goes to 77 degrees and then returns back to 45 degrees. Also, in LoL, the CPU temp goes to ~94 degrees. Is it normal/safe ?

You can lower temps/voltage/fan noise by using something like Intel XTU/Throttlestop to undervolt your CPU. Undervolting can make a big difference in temps.

By reducing the voltage, the CPU can run at it's boost (or all core speed) for longer and with less heat, thereby reducing fan noise.

I've a similar gaming laptop (identical specs wise I think), and undervolting really does help. You can also look at a laptop cooling pad to help reduce temps a little further. They are relatively cheap, but effective enough to make a difference. Specially with GPU temps. My 1660ti mobile never goes above 69c. Always steady and rarely fluctuates.

Last edited:
Reactions: CloverZ and rgd1101

CloverZ

Reputable
Dec 21, 2020
Thanks guys. @keith12 , 69 degrees with cooling pad ? My laptop, without any cooling pad and when lying flat on a table, has GPU temperature around 80 degrees. This is when cpu turbo boost is on, power plan is Ultimate High Performance, no undervolting. I tried running Intel XTU but clock and voltage controls are disabled.

@ OP - some gaming

So the CPU and GPU chips are literally separated by about 2-3 inches inside the case (underneath cooling system). When one gets hot the other tends to heat up as well. So if your rocking an 4ghz all core and the CPU is running hot, the GPU will heat up perhaps more than usual.

So, I use throttlestop on my system. It's has more options, but it relatively easy to use.

As it stands, I have a -180mv undervolt on CPU, -121 on cache, and -50 on Intel iGPU.

Id say that when you run your CPU without boost, or at a set clock, that your GPU is cooler? That's how mine would act.

What I do (and this is just for my own personal preferences) is have 3 settings with TS. I have my CPU at 3.2ghz, 3.7ghz and 4ghz. So my CPU runs all core at these speeds. At 3.2 temps rarely get above 70c. At 3.7 temps seem to hit about 75-82, and with 4ghz it hits high 80's.

I don't use the boost options. Having one core boost to 4.5ghz achieves nothing for me. There is no difference in FPS for example in BF V. If I have the CPU at 3.2 ghz, I get equally as good performance as if it were 4ghz. Some games are impacted more by CPU and others GPU.

There has been some talk on the forum of 10th Gen Intel not working with XTU, and/or not able to undervolt. But, I'm not sure if that's accruate. Can you try TS and see if you can undervolt? You can check your undervolt with HWMon/Info to see if it's active.

edit: The cooling pad I use, is a Klim 5 fan with adjustable fan speeds. Whilst it only takes temps down by maybe 3-5c, it makes the temps really steady, and on the GPU means hardly any fluctuation in temps. CPU will always fluctuate in a laptop.

Reactions: CloverZ
Solution

CloverZ

Reputable
Dec 21, 2020
So I guess I will just turn off turbo boost and play. Also, I ordered a Cosmic Byte 6 Fans Cooling Pad. Hopefully it should arrive within 1-2 days, and will let you know how it goes on.

@keith12 Could you tell me the steps and with how much millivolts should I undervolt first to test my CPU ?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
So I guess I will just turn off turbo boost and play. Also, I ordered a Cosmic Byte 6 Fans Cooling Pad. Hopefully it should arrive within 1-2 days, and will let you know how it goes on.

@keith12 Could you tell me the steps and with how much millivolts should I undervolt first to test my CPU ?

I can certainly do that for you. It might be a good idea to PM me rather than have this thread go on for ages. In the meantime here's a good starter guide: i7 9750H Undervolt Settings Using Throttlestop - YouTube

The CPU in this video is an I7 9750h. I think you have the I7 10750h? It should work the same. The idea is to try and test your CPU to get the right values for you. My values won't necessarily work for your CPU. But we can try :)

Reactions: CloverZ