Question New Laptop running hotter than 4 year old one? Insight?

May 12, 2020
I have a four year old MSI GT72 Dominator Pro G 17.3-inch Intel Skylake i7-6820HK 16GB 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD NVIDIA GTX 980M 8GB Full HD that is starting to have issues although it still runs well about 75% of the time.

I decided to upgrade before it got worse and ordered the below:

MSI GE75 Raider Gamer Notebook (Intel i7-10750H, 32GB RAM, 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, 17.3" FHD IPS-Level 240Hz 3ms, Windows 10

What has me concerned, and what I'm hoping for some insight regarding (while I still have 30 day return policy), is the following:

On Witcher 3 with all graphics and processing set to ULTRA, I get CPU/GPU temps of 60(CPU)/75-80(GPU) on my old laptop and 55-60(CPU)/75(GPU) on my new? This is letting the fans set themselves as they desire.

On Witcher 3 with max fans set, I get 45(CPU)/60(GPU) on my OLD laptop and 52(CPU)/70(GPU) on my NEW laptop!

This has me concerned obviously that my 4 year old computer is running W3 almost the same or cooler than the new!

Am I missing something? I am not a super-tech guru (lol), so maybe I bought a bad configuration for the new?

I also notice that my new laptop idles at CPU: 42 and GPU: 40-42 and then climbs from there if I do anything.... is that a concern?

What bothers me most is the cooling though/temps - I assumed the new laptop would show a clear margin over the other and no I do not have Ray tracing etc. - I made sure the graphic/processing settings were identical on both laptops and then played W3 for an hour on each: 30 minutes with regular fans and 30 minutes with max fans.

I also made sure both were using the Geforce card exclusively in Nvidia settings.

Thoughts? Happy to answer any questions to help you help me - this is my first time posting here so forgive me if I didn't post per protocol????

Wondering if I should be worried about my new purchase..... :( I am hoping to play new games (Red Dead, Cyberpunk etc.) as they come out and figured this would do the trick since my old laptop played W3 etc. on Ultra now I'm worried it won't be up to the task so what was the point in getting newest (overall) tech???? :(

Each new generation of GPU and CPU produce more and more heat and gaming laptops have struggled to deal with it for the last few years.

The only things you can do to improve the heat would be to buy a cooling pad, make sure the bottom is elevated or the more extreme procedure and liquid metal the CPU/GPU. The last method would definitely void the warranty.

May 12, 2020
Richiestang_78: do you think the temps I posted are normal? Why wouldn't I see lower temps in the new one b/c shouldn't it be handling the graphics much easier than the older generation hardware?

May 13, 2020
I suggest you to undervolte your cpu ( wich wont affect your cpu performance) , undervolte gpu ( wich also wont affect your gamming performance), and also cap fps to 60 or 120, depends on your monitor/games). This will result in playing games without the need of the coolers. Also keep the back of your laptop 4-5 cm away from the ground with some caps ( stick 3 caps one over each other with some glue or some gutter, make two of them, this is the buget version, or use a stand pad without coolers, i dont recommand coolers because they push more dust in your laptop). Waiting for your feedback :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hickmanj
May 12, 2020
I suggest you to undervolte your cpu ( wich wont affect your cpu performance) , undervolte gpu ( wich also wont affect your gamming performance), and also cap fps to 60 or 120, depends on your monitor/games). This will result in playing games without the need of the coolers. Also keep the back of your laptop 4-5 cm away from the ground with some caps ( stick 3 caps one over each other with some glue or some gutter, make two of them, this is the buget version, or use a stand pad without coolers, i dont recommand coolers because they push more dust in your laptop). Waiting for your feedback :)

I'm not super tech - what voltage do I set my CPU and GPU to ? I know I download afterburner and do a scan but then am a bit confused even with reading internet ....... i7-10750H and RTX 2070

May 13, 2020
Well, for cpu i use -130 on my i7 9750, and its stable ( best performance is at -150 but some of my games crashes on it ) , i recommend the same for your cpu and you can decrease it till around 150. For the gpu part, don't botter, i did not saw any vids out there how to undervolte properly.....they all overclock ( this will boost your gpu , but you will get the same temps as before but with same high temps wich i don't recommend, the trick here is to keep same performance or -5% lower , but with lower temps) its hard with gpu, don't botter, took me few days to understand exactly how to properly do it, but it gave me -5 degre Celsius also. I am gonna think about a video on how to properly do it ( undervolte gpu) . Try all the other steps that i recommend, cpu, air flow, fps cap.

May 13, 2020
Here is what you need to change on your intel xtu

View: https://imgur.com/mUw5xTn

Gpu settings (BE AWARE THIS IS FOR for GTX 1660ti )

View: https://imgur.com/QXie4jI

First your check your default highest frequency point ( lets say "yyyy mhz") , then you look were it corresponds on voltage scale ( lets say "zzzz mv") ( mines is undervolted to 1950 mhz with 875 mv). After that you drag all points on the right side to to highest frequency point from below "yyyy mhz", after you finish ( it will take a while) you start working on the real undervoting. So we start working on the left side, for example lets take my gpu specs, i left my frequency at 1950 and used lower voltage, wich next to 875mv is 850 mv, then you save and test it on games ( watch for glitches or artefacts, in my case games wont start if i set 1950mhz with 850mv. I hope i made my self clear. My english is not that great, but if there is some one in this forum willing to help me project this on a video. I can also help your remotly if you need it.

TRENDING THREADS