New Laptop, wanting to install mSata SSD and fresh Win10

kevinranders

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Good morning,

I received a new gaming laptop yesterday (MSI GE70 2QE). It currently has a 7200RPM mechanical HDD (painfully slow). I ordered a mSata SSD that is coming tomorrow. I know how to physically install the SSD into the laptop, however, I have confused myself via research on the steps needed to install the OS. The laptop did not come with any disks (drivers, software, etc). I created a win10 USB install (via windows media creation tool).

Can I do the following:

1. Remove current HDD
2. Physically install the new SSD
3. Change bios to boot from USB ***Not sure how to do this step***
4. Install Windows 10 ***Not sure if Win10 will automatically install drivers, such as the motherboard, etc
5. If above is successful, physically re-install the previous HDD and format it to be used as storage.

IS there anything I am missing here? This seemed like it was easier on my desktop OR I have gotten dumber since doing this on the desk top. Any assistance/guidance/slap in the face would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Solution
That is it.

To boot from USB, hit a BIOS key, normally Delete or F12 during boot then choose your USB.

Windows will handle basic drivers but you'll need to download the latest ones from your motherboard website, GPU website etc.

Mattios

Honorable
That is it.

To boot from USB, hit a BIOS key, normally Delete or F12 during boot then choose your USB.

Windows will handle basic drivers but you'll need to download the latest ones from your motherboard website, GPU website etc.

Solution

kevinranders

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015

Drivers is what I am most worried about. MSI laptops have everything available (usually) on their website. However, the only options are windows 7 and windows 8.1 atm (even though on their site that said that this laptop is windows 10 ready)