New laptop!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie_10

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I need some help deciding on what to get for a new laptop. I am a computer science major so I need some computing power. Two computers I am looking at are the HP Envy 15 and a MacBook Pro 15 but I'm still looking at all possibilities.

I'm still kinda undetermined about the Envy 15 because there aren't any real good reviews of them yet since they just came out, but from the specs I've seen they are going to be quite beastly. But do I get the i7 now, or wait awhile?

1_What is your budget?

preferably < $2000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15-16 in

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Probably a high resolution screen, no specific pixel numbers. I'm going to be looking at it a lot so something that won't make me strain my eyes.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Well I really need a combo of both. I need the power of a desktop replacement, but in a portable package. I know that there is no real solution for this. Preferably something under 6 lbs. but if it is a little over 6 lbs. that's not a deal breaker.

5_How much battery life do you need?

would like at least 4-5 hours.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Occasionally, I play a MMORPG similar to WoW. I would like it to run at High settings on max screen resoultion.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

I will be doing a lot of computer programming, and some of the programs that I write can be computationally intensive by nature. Other than that, I plan to play with virtual machines some, and then just web surfing, office stuff (word, ppt, excel).

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

maybe 500GB, prob less...I'm more focused on performance (don't have to have SSD)

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

none

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

my currrent laptop I have kept for 4 1/2 years, so at least that long

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I don't really use it a lot, but DVD ROM/Writer (Super Multi)

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I currently have an HP, and I have had a great experience with it. Little to no problems with it. So Hp would be one brand. I'm not very brand specific, if there is a good piece of equipment from another company I'll give it a look.

The one brand I would prob like to avoid is Dell. I have a good friend who has a Dell and has had many problems not only with the hardware in his laptop but with customer service.

13_What country do you live in?

U.S.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I think you have everything, thanks for the help

howie_10

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Sorry I saw that after I had submitted the post. I already edited the post to include the FAQ questions. Thanks

Well SAGER NP8690 i s currently the fastest 15" notebook,equipped with i7 and
GTX 280M,it will perform well in both gaming and applications but it doesn't have 4 hours of battery life:
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8690-built-clevo-w860cu-custom-gaming-laptop-order-p-2659.html

If you want a laptop with at least 4 hours of battery life then take a look at Apple MacBook Pro 15" it doesn't have the specs even near the Sager model but has a lot better battery life which is outstanding:
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3580

howie_10

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
An Apple is one of the computers that I have been looking at. Have you heard anything about Apple releasing a quad core macbook pro anytime soon?

It's still going to be a couple of months before I'll have the money to get a new computer, but I've been trying to research a lot before so I'll be able to make an informed decision.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for--but it is a great machine.

Recently I got one of these from work, and I couldn't be much happier. Came with a Win7 upgrade (although we've been running Win7 Pro for quite some time) and it handles every task brilliantly.

DDR3 memory is fast, 9800M GTS graphics are excellent, 17inch widescreen, centrino 2 CPU and plenty of features on the machine itself.

The CPU clock is a bit lower than I was originally looking for, but with so many high end components inside--it really does not hinder performance at all!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5210433&Sku=G180-17006

Status
Not open for further replies.