New LCD/TV information displays from NEC?

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
The other day I was talking to a friend of mine who said he just heard about these brand new LCD's from NEC that are basically dedicated LCD monitors meant for computers, but have a tv tuner in them as an addition. So unlike the LCD/TV's on the market today, these ones are not meant for TV, they are meant for computer purposes, with the TV function on the side.
I am very interested to find out more about these now, I've been searching for months now for something to serve primarily as a computer monitor for me and also as a TV on the side. The LCD/TV's out there today offer inferior picture quality to the dedicated computer LCD's, and this sounds like it's just what I'm looking for.
I was wondering if anybody knows anything about these, like the name of the series, model # or anything specific about them I could look up? I've tried NEC's website as well as e-mailing them about it but haven't gotten any reply yet.
Would be great if someone here knew anything about these.

fluffysheap

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
They are right on the NEC website (you must have just missed it):
http://www.necdisplay.com/products/ClassificationFamilyDetail.cfm?ID=8

I have no first hand experience, but based on the website, they are essentially just LCD TVs with extra marketing. They have typical big LCD resolution (i.e. low: 1366x768), which means everything on the screen will be absolutely huge.

If you want to use a TV as a PC monitor, I think the only reasonably priced full resolution choice is the 37" Sceptre Naga II 1920x1080 LCD at $1500.

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
it sounds like your right. the guy who was telling me about it owns a computer shop in town and had just heard about them the day before i posted, he was saying it had all the quality of a computer lcd but with the tv stuff as well. it also sounded perfect because they made a 32" model, which is just what i'm looking for.
i'll have to check into them a bit more, but i'm afraid your probably right on the lcd/tv assumption.
i'm pretty close to just buying a dedicated lcd monitor for my computer and an lcd/tv on the side. sucks there isn't one for both that doesn't suck so bad for a computer monitor.
the 37" acer and sceptre nagaII are both a little too big & hard on the eyes when you read a lot of text like i do, and the 32" models don't have HDMI inputs or support for any larger resolution than 1360x768, so there's no winning there either.

the closest thing right now is that new 24" benq with the hdmi input, but it doesn't have a tv tuner so you'd still have to get a tv/tv-tuner on the side to fufill that function. as well 24" is a little small for tv/dvd functions, but i'd settle for it if it did have a tv tuner.

it's to bad, just doesn't look like anybody makes anything like this yet :?

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Teh NEC large screen are Industrial grade monitors for computer use but can also be used for Television. These are not made like your consumer television LCD's with consumer grade parts. They are made with high end expensive electronics so the units can with stand 24/7 use of long periods of time. They also come with a standard 3 year warranty which is not found on most consumer LCD TV's. They also come with a much higher price tag. ESP for the 32 inch is $2600. So these are not the same as LCD TV's but can be used as one. They also do not have a tuner in them so you would have to route your cable through a cable box first. Let me know if you have any other questions about them, I work for NEC.

Anchoku

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
These "monitors" are actually LCD TVs being marketed for business use. If you want a good LCD TV you can use as a monitor for your PC, you should also consider Sharp, Sony and Samsung. Those are the leaders and all of their TVs, as far as I can tell, can be used as LCD monitors. Just look for the DVI input.

However, for monitor use, you might want to consider how many actual pixels you'll get. A 32" monitor with 1280x768 resolution has the same number of pixels as my Fujitsu P2120 notebook's 10.6" display and fewer than any 17" LCD monitor.

Pixel size changes how far away you sit, not how much you get.

travbomb

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
These "monitors" are actually LCD TVs being marketed for business use.

This is not true. As I stated before these monitors use none of the same parts an LCD TV does. You can not use a consumer grade LCD TV to run 24/7 content in a digital signage environment i.e. an airport. You will kill it within months. This should be quite apparent from the warranty of only 1 year on these consumer grade monitors. There are quite a few other brands that that do market their TV's as this but NEC and Samsung make seperate units for these uses.

If you want a good LCD TV you can use as a monitor for your PC, you should also consider Sharp, Sony and Samsung. Those are the leaders and all of their TVs, as far as I can tell, can be used as LCD monitors. Just look for the DVI input.

This is true. For normal use in a home you would be fine getting an LCD TV with an HDMI and an analog input to run both TV and Computer programs. Not sure if you can split screen on an LCD TV like the NEC 32 though.

However, for monitor use, you might want to consider how many actual pixels you'll get. A 32" monitor with 1280x768 resolution has the same number of pixels as my Fujitsu P2120 notebook's 10.6" display and fewer than any 17" LCD monitor.

The resolution is actually 1366 x 768 this would cover you if you need 720P HD.

jhutz42

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
That's to bad, I was looking for an all-in-one solution. If it doesn't have a TV-Tuner and can't be used that way then I don't think it will fit my needs.

I was under the impression it was with all the components/quality of a computer monitor but with a TV-Tuner/capabilities as well.

Thanks for clearing that up travis