new lenovo y510p won't connect to wifi

ethanmcp

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I just got a Lenovo y510p and when I try to connect to the internet it says that it is connected but I am unable to use the internet. I have tried a lot of things and nothing seems to work although I was able to get the internet to work for a couple of minutes at one point but I haven't since. Any ideas? Also I have very little computer knowledge so explain to me as if I am a little kid thanks!

Solution

Must be something to do with the Lenovo Wireless Connection Software, perhaps not happy with non secure connection, i.e. no password!

ethanmcp

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
This didn't work but I did figure out that by turning off my router and then turning it back on I can get the internet to work for around 10 minutes and then it losses connection again anyone know why this would happen?

ethanmcp

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

Everything else connects fine except sometimes it will just so working and I have to restart the router because the internet gets really slow or just stops working

Rshadows

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I also had this problem with mine when I got it. I did this and it has been working fine since. Connect your laptop through the Ethernet port. Go to google type in lenovo support click the link. Click "Drivers & Software" then "Laptop & Tablets", "Ideapad Y series laptops", "Ideapad Y510p Notebook" then click the green "Submit" button. Once you've done that go to "Networking: Wireless LAN" look for what you are running and press [+] click for files then download now. Hope this helps sorry about all the " " lol.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I have the y410p, and while I personally didn't have any issues with the internet I did hear that intel proset wireless software sometimes caused problems and that after getting rid of that (just the software) it went away. I don't know if y510p had the same problems, but it could be something to look into

BigAl67

Reputable
May 4, 2014
I have the same problem where proximity seems to be the issue. I have a Y410, and now it seems that the laptop has connectivity issues, where before it did not. I updated the firmware on the router, but the PS3 has a good streaming connection, further I can put the laptop next to it and get good connectivity and speed (10Mbps). Move upstairs and i get 125 Kbps, or failure to connect. I updated the WIFI drivers through Lenovo but nothing worked. It was working and now it doesn't.