New LG Display mystery

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Bought 3 LG 21:9 monitors. One is a 29um65 (center as it has speakers) and the other two are the 29um55 (for left and right, no speakers). Models aside from speakers are nearly identical.

All is working well. Plugged in via DP directly in the middle while the other two are via Sewell minideck 3.0 (USB displaylink to DP into the monitors). Works great. Even get sound on middle one as planned.

Problem, my computer goes to lock screen every 10 minutes or so, even wheni am right in front of it. I checked the monitors, they are not set to sleep. As well as Win7 ultimate 64 bit that i am ruining. I created new power plan to never shut off, and only displays go off every 4 hours if no activity.

So it is a real mystery as to what might be causing this. I had three Samsung xl2370 displays using similar setup so it is not pulling much more off graphics card (much of the GPUI load is being driven by the Sewell that has a graphics stepup built into it).

Oh yeah, and whn i log back in my um65 is dimmed. I have to go into settings of the display and notch the brightness one level and back then regular brightness comes back). Really annoying. Stumped.

Any ideas, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

There is a setup on LG monitors that you need to change (access the menu on the monitor with the push-buttons). There is an "advanced power savings mode" or something like that. That will stop it from shutting down during use.

The one thing I hate - if the computer goes to sleep, the monitors power down, and the only way to get them back is to push the power button.

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Many thanks. Yes, i should mention that all the monitors are set to power saving mode off. I keep going back there to check because one would think that is what it is, but it isnt. I am starting to think it is with the OS or computer, since it is actually doing a screen lock and making me authenticate to unlock again. something is telling the computer to lock. I think the display going to sleep or off would not make the computer screenlock. Thoughts?

thank you!!!

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Hi Ronintexas. It definitely isnt the monitor settings. As for screen saver, i cannot find that setting in Win7 Ultimate anywhere. Control panel>Display doesnt have a screen saver option and right click on desktop to "personalize" only has background image options (no screen saver options. Also i am not getting any screen saver functionality before the lock so I am thinking it is not enabled (and not the problem either) but certainly would like to go and check to make sure. I have googled to try and find the setting but all lead me back to an interface that doesn't exist. Any ideas would be great. thanks!

Is it possible you have the screen save "uninstalled"? (Go to the control panel, go to programs and check "Turn on or off Windows features" - I have Windows 8.1 pro - I don't see the option to add/remove a screen saver).

Also - check control panel - hardware and sound - power options - edit plan settings (advanced options of the one that has a bullet in the box) - there is a setting "require a password on wakeup" - if the setting is "YES" - that would be the lock out screen. I always disable the settings except for turning off the display at 1 hour. Make sure you set the others to "never".

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
No option as such in turn windows features on or off and power profiles was the first thing I checked (and created a new one from scratch just to be sure). I am truly stumped....

Derden

Honorable
Dec 28, 2014
Nothing is configured anywhere for this behavior that i can find. One idea is for me to go into a windows event log and find the event/instance that is causing this to track it down. However, been in all the event viewer logs (administrative events) and don't see any events related to this. I even have the event nailed down to certain times so i can correlate logs. Anyone know where to find the events related to lock screen? thanks