New low-end quad-core Q8xxx CPUs from Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Well, AMD can go only so low with out loosing profit. Last time I checked Wall St. said AMD was loosing profit.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
SAVE AMD!

Everyone buy AMD to help them out. I would, but I already have a Q6600 that I'm planning on keeping until the 8 core Nehalem with HT and the IMC come down in price. I would help if I could though, so please get on it.

Thank you for your collective assistance in this dire matter.

Zorg

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

It's sad really that I can't run the processor at stock anymore :( (I guess it got used to 0.9v)

I meant a processor in a similar price point without taking OC'ing into account...

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

That would kinda ruin the 'entry level' aspect of it would it not?

endyen

Splendid

I've heard rumours that AMD's ASP in 07 was $60/chip. That's not for thier cheap model, that's for everything.
As to thier capacity, I dont know because I dont know what's happening with fab30/38. When (and if) it's back on line, AMD's capacity will be ~ 60% of the market.
In fact, they do sell to most of the OEMs at this point.
They just dont sell very many, because Intel can deliver a better product at many price points.
Fab 38 should also be 45nm, so that should help AMD handle the storm of lower pricing.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Grasping at staws again eh, why not do what Baron did and dissapear till AMD is on top?

Word, Playa.

endyen

Splendid

You should know me better than that by now. I'm a bigger fan of accuracy than of AMD.
How is it that you got unbanned anyhow? Did they let you keep all your post count from all your names?
Want to know a big secret? I'm glad you're around. Maybe it's cause I know you are a good Alberta boy, and I'm from B.C.
Maybe because I know you are pretty bright. Maybe, it's because I know you've fought so hard to get where you are.
I hope the boom out there has been good to you.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Ya I know I try to keep a low key on a lot of the subject matter here now less political jazz since now all my theories from 4 years ago are coming into fruition :/.

When Omid started running THG he got Fredi to unban me it's been a while since that happened though. Otherwise I just hang out here for the latest tech jazz, try to keep out of the Intel vs. AMD crap but sometimes I can’t resist, since I tend to be a **** disturber.

Ya the energy boom out here is good if I wasn’t in the trades I would be making a considerable amount more but the oil industry is a different world they think they have it all down, buy what they want type deal, it's more American type buying (credit) here now, so I am just waiting for oil to plummet and these guys to get a reality check, they might drive consumer spending but they are setting poor examples for their children and we don’t need anymore gluttonous people up here the American's are starting to finally realize its a poor financial strategy.

But I got to admit though not many posters are glad I am around I appreciate the comment though. :love:

Word, Playa.