New low-end quad-core Q8xxx CPUs from Intel

Wyrm

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Why not?
It looks like Intel is trying to push 4 then 8 then 16 etc. cores into the market, and these programmers better get on the ball.

Ray-tracing anyone?

Not to mention putting the final nail in AMD's coffin. I hope they lighten up on AMD though, I do think that is a mistake.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Actually I don't think its a good idea. Most consumers don't need quad core to run daily applications. They would prefer to maintain a relatively decent performance, but at a massive low price (EeePC is a very good example of this).

As a result, I think Intel should start to focus on utilizing smaller process technology and high performance circuitry in building small form factor C2D processors.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

I have faith that they can pull through =P. I am an optimist, and fairly hardcore AMD fanboy (not thunderman hardcore, lol AMD4LIFE)

Actually I think it is overall quite positive.

This brings solid performance to the triple and quad core offerings out there and will help force game and app developers to make use of the additional cores for our benefit.

I think that many (not most because of the low end lappy market I would imagine?) new machines being sold over the last 18 months are now dual core ... but there are still tons of single core machines around ... most of the market.

With both Intel and AMD pushing 3 and 4 core machines it is up to the software designers to catch up.

Game development in particular is hampered because the designers still want to ensure low end PC owners can run their games.

There are not many that are yet taking a punt putting out games like Crysis and Oblivion ... very demanding on hardware.

We are actually being held back by Joe Public.

Kill all single core PC's ... that's a good start.

This forces designers to maximise 2 core PC's at least.

I'd liketo see game houses make a few new games that are quad core or go away.

I am sure they are frustrated too.

Investing in design that has to cater for the lowest common denomenator is just about making sureyou can get your investment capital back and start showing a profit.

With quite a few games bombing out over the years it can be a risky business.

Duke Nukem Forever will likely only run on an octalcore machine ... lol.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I'm gonna take this as positive news even though AMD's Phenom sales will be servely hurt...

Remember how dual-core was considered high end? $1000 dollar Athlon X2s?

The faster a CPU guy cuts down prices the faster more cores become mainstream ie. I can afford them...

This is a great move as it will most likely AMD shall lower their prices and cause a ripple effect in the market...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
They are doing that as well. They are a big company you know.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I don't see this being much cheaper than the current low price leader q6600. I assume these new 8xxx quads will be 45nm? I supposed that will get a few people to buy over a q6600, but honestly, the decreased L2 cache and the mighty high stock fsb coupled with a low multiplier make this new 8xxx quad not an overclocker's choice.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
i still want a Q9...

i don't get it, for those specs, why not buying a cheaper Q6600 with 2.4ghz and 8mb cache. does the fsb make such a diffrence? 4 mb cache seems so low!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I was thinking the same thing. I imagine Q6600s will become scarce, in the not too distant future, then their price will rise to where they aren't so attractive. Ultimately they won't be available at all.

Wyrm

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

The market segment for decent performance and low power is covered by Atom family of processors:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-atom-cpu,1947.html

Unlike ARMs, Atom CPUs have x86 IS making them easily compatible with a large amount of existing software. You can take a mini-ITX MB like this:

http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Motherboards.html

and assemble a small computer with decent performance like this:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile...el_Atom_Based_Eee_PC_for_Mid_Year_Launch.html

It is expected that these computers will evolve in the direction of the decreasing form-factor, blending into the emerging market of MIDs (Mobile Internet Devices).

It's amazing though that neither Intel or Amd can reduce power consumption of current quads, especially .45nm. I went from a celeron 430 to e4300 (pin modded at 1066) and found the performance more than adequate. I would spend the extra money on the quad if the power consumption were lower. Amd promised the 9100e at 65 watts, but I haven't seen one yet.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I don't really see the point of a faster CPU in my machine... I've tried out my brother's OC'd Qx9650. Sure its abit faster... but not enough so that I'm willing to upgrade... Besides the normal application I use (itunes, firefox and painter) won't receive much benefit.

Still...

royalcrown

Distinguished

You just said it, for what YOU use...try encoding to MPEG2 on your brothers machine vs your machine or h.264, or try rendering or something that has hardcore lighting and a lot of light sources and you'll see a huge difference.

For just Ituning and painter we could still be running thunderbird 1.4s and we'd be more than covered...

I bet you don't use Vista yet...that'd make you want a faster cpu and especially harddrive.

royalcrown

Distinguished

By the time duke nukem forever is released, we'll have optical computers and hover cars and octa core will be equivalent to EGA...

Good point, we also need to kill off all floppy drives and also ps/2 ports, we shouldn't need floppies for raid drivers for god's sake, windows shoulda been smart enough in 2003 to check a cd and not a floppy !
and with 20 gig installs, we should kill off 80 gig hard drives too, and IDE everything !

pete0921

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
The more interesting would be the 5000 series replacing the 2000 series..up 2MB from 1MB cache, but still 800mhz FSB...Good CPU for general computing but still dual-core & 45nm.

I prefer Intel spend time on the low power CPU (dual & maybe quad core ATOM)...Mini ITX 2.0 boards..Save energy by using those netpc but still have enough power to play 720p video..

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yeah, but what about epe... uh... er... ecoolness? :lol:

This is just one other area Intel is going to. There will also be low end Nehalems that are dual cores but will aso have the GPU in package. Those will be for people like AMDFANGirl who want a low power chip that does what she needs seeing as she doesn't seem to game much.

I was looking at the roadmap and it looks like the Q6600 will be around pretty much until Nehalem is mainstream seeing as it is probably Intels best selling chip. I doubt the Q8xxxs will be able to overtake its current enthusiast position unless they can OC like the Q6600 can.

I said it before and its still true. Things are getting interesting and once Nehalem hits it will get even more interesting.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

It's true. I keep telling myself that this won't happen, but I know better than that. It's a shame really. For ~$200, you can get top of the line performance. Once they're gone from retail, Ebay will be the only place to find them, and I can imagine they'll hold their value for quite a long time.

Check my sig. :kaola:

2578356225_0337668706_o.png

2578355555_fe59a06eff_o.png

2411514456_501b824dde_o.png

Btw, fangirl, do you use PicLens?