[SOLVED] New M.2 NVMe SSD (Intel 660p) not detected by computer

SteveTomJerry

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
So this is kind of a follow up to a thread I made a few days back (https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/looking-for-help-deciding-on-ssd.3468854/ for anyone interested). I bought a Intel 660p 1TB SSD to compliment my Samsung 850 EVO 2.5' that I currently have in my computer. I just got it in the mail today and installed it. Installed the drivers for it off the Intel website and now I'm running into a few issues.

The first being that I'm not seeing the drive as available anywhere on my computer. It seems as though the installation is okay since when I go to the Intel website and have them detect the Intel parts in my system it recognizes the 660p as being in there.

The second issue that I'm running into is that I can't seem to access my BIOS anymore, it just loads straight into my welcome screen, even if I tap f10 repeatedly as my computer boots up.

The third problem is that now the Samsung Magician software seems to be acting funny and saying every time I start up my computer that it has some error and that it cannot turn on. I can use the Samsung SSD just fine but the firmware seems to have gotten wacky and I can't access it at all anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Remove all drives, and get into the BIOS to first make sure assorted NVME M.2 ports are enabled...

Then see if it at least shows up in the BIOS...

(Have you already had it detected and done a Samsung Migration, but are now having issues afterward, or has it never worked at all yet?)

SteveTomJerry

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
Remove all drives, and get into the BIOS to first make sure assorted NVME M.2 ports are enabled...

Then see if it at least shows up in the BIOS...

(Have you already had it detected and done a Samsung Migration, but are now having issues afterward, or has it never worked at all yet?)

No I haven't migrated anything, I was going to leave my OS and all the stuff I have on the Samsung where it is and just use the Intel to keep any other files that I download from this point. Mostly just games and the like. Apologies for the silly question but you are suggesting then that I take out the SSD and check my BIOS, correct?

SteveTomJerry

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
Yea I got it to work, I'm clearly just extra special in the head haha. I really appreciate your patience and help. I got it to read now, though still confused as to the issue with skipping passed the BIOS screen but oh well. I'll restart my computer here in a bit and see if it happens again.

Reactions: rgd1101