[SOLVED] New M.2 prevents normal boot sequence. When M.2 is removed everything goes back to normal.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
When I installed my new wdblack m.2 it just boots straight to bios. When I try to boot manually from my normal boot drive (sandisk) it doesn't work. If I take out the M.2 it just follows the normal boot sequence into windows like normal. What's going on?

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
Make and model of your motherboard? What BIOS version are you currently on and what slots are you populating on the board? On that note, include a link or the model for your SSD's.
UPDATE: After endless searching I should have just listened to Luftij and posted my MOBO model name. Turns out the ASUS ROG B350 disables two of the 6 SATA ports when an M.2 SSD is installed. I fixed the issue with a simple cable swap to different ports.

jadenwoolworth

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
Make and model of your motherboard? What BIOS version are you currently on and what slots are you populating on the board? On that note, include a link or the model for your SSD's.
UPDATE: After endless searching I should have just listened to Luftij and posted my MOBO model name. Turns out the ASUS ROG B350 disables two of the 6 SATA ports when an M.2 SSD is installed. I fixed the issue with a simple cable swap to different ports.

ASK THE COMMUNITY