[SOLVED] New M.2 screwing up File Explorer

flamingpeanut

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
I just installed a crucial p5 1tb SSD into my computer as a 3rd storage device. The computer boots up fine and I formatted the new drive in Disk Management, however when I open file explorer it struggles to display any files. All the folders I have on my desktop are still there and I can open and access all the files in them, but if I open file explorer itself or try to navigate to another folder all it says is "Working on it..." and shows the loading bar at the top.

The motherboard I installed it in is a Asus ROG Strix Z390-E gaming. And I installed it in slot M.2_1.

Solution
And I will add the suggestion that you run either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe what your system is doing while "working on it".

Run both but only one at a time.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%) they are being used, and what is using the resource.

You can click in the column headers to do some sorting which may prove helpful.
Feb 27, 2021
I don't have an answer, but that's exactly what my external SSD was doing when I used Explorer. Sometimes Explorer would hang with Not Responding and I'd have to close it in Task Manager (which took several minutes).

flamingpeanut

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Do a quick look online, I cannot recall where it is, but there is a "counter" that will show you how far into it the process is if that is actually what is going on.
After a few days I just checked how far along the indexing is. It says it completed but I'm still having the same issues. Is there perhaps some software I needed to install for this SSD? I haven't had to for my other storage devices so I assumed I didn't need to for this one either.

After a few days I just checked how far along the indexing is. It says it completed but I'm still having the same issues. Is there perhaps some software I needed to install for this SSD? I haven't had to for my other storage devices so I assumed I didn't need to for this one either.
Crucial toolbox........ https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive
Go through the options and see what it shows.

flamingpeanut

Reputable
Dec 25, 2016
Crucial toolbox........ https://www.crucial.com/support/storage-executive
Go through the options and see what it shows.
I downloaded the software and it said firmware is up to date. The software also shows it as being a healthy disk. The computer has finished indexing, I have both rebuilt the index and turned it off altogether, but the problem is still present. As a test I attempted to download a game from steam onto the disk, this caused steam to stop responding. Some other applications have stopped responding as well including the Indexing options and even the file explorer. Is the disk just bad or am I dong something wrong here? Is the SSD perhaps not compatible with my mobo? I checked to make sure before I bought it but I guess I could have been wrong.

I downloaded the software and it said firmware is up to date. The software also shows it as being a healthy disk. The computer has finished indexing, I have both rebuilt the index and turned it off altogether, but the problem is still present. As a test I attempted to download a game from steam onto the disk, this caused steam to stop responding. Some other applications have stopped responding as well including the Indexing options and even the file explorer. Is the disk just bad or am I dong something wrong here? Is the SSD perhaps not compatible with my mobo? I checked to make sure before I bought it but I guess I could have been wrong.
Run this..............Speccy - Free Download
Read this and post a link to the speccy................Speccy...publish

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the suggestion that you run either Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe what your system is doing while "working on it".

Run both but only one at a time.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%) they are being used, and what is using the resource.

You can click in the column headers to do some sorting which may prove helpful.

Solution