new m.2 ssd drive install question

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015
if I'm putting a new m.2 ssd nvme drive into my Lenovo legion y520 gaming laptop, and I want to install the lenovo factory image of windows 10 onto it with usb flash drive, will it recognize the new m.2 nvme ssd drive? the drive is a wd black 256gb m.2 pci-e nvme drive.

Lutfij

Titan
What drive did you get from the factory? If you're currently working with an HDD, you should back up your critical data onto a removable drive and then installing the M.2 SSD, plug in the bootable USB installer and you should be good to go following through the prompts. Formatting your older OS partition would be a good thing when assigning which partition/drive to install your OS on.

I'd suggest making sure you're on the latest BIOS revision prior to installing the SSD.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

no physical drive from factory, its a factory image of windows from lenovo to reinstall the operating system.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
The factory image is stored on a recovery partition on the HDD that came in the laptop. If I understand correctly, you want to install the SSD and then reinstall Windows 10 as it came from the factory, which includes any software Lenovo installed along with Windows 10. You might be able to clone the HDD to the SSD, which will also clone the recovery partition, then boot with the SSD installed and run their recovery to return it to factory.

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

I'm just wondering if my laptop will recognize the new m.2 ssd drive after I install it?

packersfan036

Distinguished
May 27, 2015

actually I'm replacing the hard drive with a sandisk 512gb 2.5" ssd drive so ill remove the current hard drive then install the m.2 ssd then load windows then install the sandisk ssd drive and I should be good to go, right?