[SOLVED] New M.2 SSD RAID 0, Windows won’t install

MoviesOnDemand

Honorable
May 10, 2015
I bought an identical M.2 SSD to install and use RAID 0. I have an ASUS Z490P motherboard and i10900k CPU. I’m trying to install windows 10 from a USB. Whenever I choose to install on the RAID 0 drive it “tries” to install windows but sits at “Copying Windows Files 0%” not sure where to go from here.

Solution
Hi MoviesOnDemand (y)

Is there a reason to Raid your drives?
Realize that RAID 0 is risky because saved data is split into blocks and spread among all the drives in the array. No single drive receives all the data, so if one drive fails the data that is stored on the other drives becomes useless.

Raid 0 is non-redundant and has no fault tolerance, so you cannot recover data from a failed disk.

Types of RAID?
  • RAID 0 (Striping) RAID 0 is taking any number of disks and merging them into one large volume. ...
  • RAID 1 (Mirroring) ...
  • RAID 5/6 (Striping + Distributed Parity) ...
  • RAID 10 (Mirroring + Striping) ...
  • Software...
Hi MoviesOnDemand (y)

Is there a reason to Raid your drives?
Realize that RAID 0 is risky because saved data is split into blocks and spread among all the drives in the array. No single drive receives all the data, so if one drive fails the data that is stored on the other drives becomes useless.

Raid 0 is non-redundant and has no fault tolerance, so you cannot recover data from a failed disk.

Types of RAID?
  • RAID 0 (Striping) RAID 0 is taking any number of disks and merging them into one large volume. ...
  • RAID 1 (Mirroring) ...
  • RAID 5/6 (Striping + Distributed Parity) ...
  • RAID 10 (Mirroring + Striping) ...
  • Software RAID. ...
  • Hardware RAID
Configuring RAID in Windows 10

1. Install the hard drives into your computer and let it boot into Windows 10.
  2. Back up everything you cannot afford to lose from your OS drive before starting.
  3. Type or paste ‘Storage Spaces’ into Search Windows.
  4. Select Create a new pool and storage space. Windows will check all drives and select them in the next window.
  5. Select the RAID type under Resiliency by selecting the drop down menu. Simple pools the disks, Two-way mirror and three-way mirror are similar to RAID 1, and Parity is similar to RAID 5.
  6. Set the drive size under Size if necessary. It should default to the correct setting.
  7. Select Create storage space.
  8. Wait for the process to complete and you should then see a single disk with the correct size in Windows Explorer.
  9. Type or paste ‘Manage Storage Spaces’ into the Search Windows box to keep an eye on the array.

Raid can be a pain in the preverbal and the type of raid is important.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
As MeanMachine notes: why? RAID makes very little sense for >99% of consumers and makes even less sense as an OS drive. Unless you have a very specific need, this is a waste of time, money, effort, and risks losing data. What is your use case that requires the implementation of something with such a niche purpose?