[SOLVED] New M.2

michaelcollins918

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
Recently I bought MP510 m.2 because my 256 GB Samsung 750 Evo is not enough for upcoming RDR 2 game.

My question is do I have to migrate windows OS to fully take advantage from loading times on this new much faster m.2? Will 750 Evo somehow bottleneck MP510 in daily use?

Solution
That game weighs over 150GB not even counting mods.
My thoughts were that if when OS is on slower drive and it needs to retrieve stuff installed on faster drive wouldn't this mean a bottleneck?
OK, just the size requirement.

No, there won't really be any "bottleneck".
In every day use, especially gaming, the new drive is not markedly 'faster' than your current 750 EVO.

Yes, the benchmarks show a HUGE increase in the sequential read/write. But that is not where most of our day to day operations happen.
The SSD's benefit, either SATA III or NVMe, is mostly in the near zero access speed. And both drives have that advantage over spinning HDD's.

USAFRet

Titan
When you say "not enough for upcoming RDR 2 game ", what do you mean, exactly?

If you're just going to install the game on the new drive, you don't need to move the OS to it.
Leave the OS where it is on the current 750 EVO, and just use the new drive for game installs.

michaelcollins918

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017
When you say "not enough for upcoming RDR 2 game ", what do you mean, exactly?

If you're just going to install the game on the new drive, you don't need to move the OS to it.
Leave the OS where it is on the current 750 EVO, and just use the new drive for game installs.
My thoughts were that if when OS is on slower drive and it needs to retrieve stuff installed on faster drive wouldn't this mean a bottleneck?

USAFRet

Titan

In every day use, especially gaming, the new drive is not markedly 'faster' than your current 750 EVO.

Yes, the benchmarks show a HUGE increase in the sequential read/write. But that is not where most of our day to day operations happen.
The SSD's benefit, either SATA III or NVMe, is mostly in the near zero access speed. And both drives have that advantage over spinning HDD's.

Solution

michaelcollins918

Commendable
Sep 13, 2017

OK thank you for explaining!