New Mac Ad Attacks Entire Windows Lineage

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
What happened to Tom's Hardware just being a strictly PC enthusiast site? Oh wait now Macs are just intel PC clones so I guess that is why. Still.. seems like someone here is getting paid by apple.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tlmck[/nom]Your forgot the par excellence of OS/2. [/citation]

OS2 was a great OS, and was the victim of Microsoft's relentless campaign to kill a product they recognized as superior to their own. Nothing preoccupied Microsoft more than their campaign to discourage people from using OS/2, and especially preventing software developers from publishing products for it. Microsoft basically back-stabbed IBM and shifted it's OS/2 resources to it's own OS.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
btw for ppl that gives + or - no matter how many - or + you`ll give there will always be someone that will not agree with apple`s or microsoft`s adds, thow i`m not always pleased with MS`s adds , i find the apple ones totally unacceptable and there`s nothing you can do to make me change my mind till they will go another way with those adds , i mean look at them they go back even to "windows 2 " they really need to be remined that Macs only got competitive in the las 10 years ? and still they cover less than 10% i`m willing to see how their perfect security is whey they will reach 50% market share will bee if that ever happens, remeber that hack marathon on windows / mac os and linux how it ended ? the mac was the first computer to be breached.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]cantttype[/nom]MAC's dont nearly have the compatibility that Windows does. Trust me.[/citation]

Say what? I do not know of one Mac app that will run on a Windows machine. But, I can run all of the Windows apps I want on my Mac with Boot Camp.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Convince me with your innovations, features, competitive pricing and not with smear campaigns and negative advertising. Don't keep living on your past glory. What count is now and the future.

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]96stangman[/nom]yep that shows why mac is the number one computer company in the world....... wait a minuet windows has 90 percent of computers ???[/citation]

No one attacks apple computers because so few people have them. People that have them get sucked into the high cost and false sense of security which exists only because of their lack of knowledge of computers which is probably why they bought a mac in the first place. If I can't build it, I don't want it.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Article on Hexus.net says in conclusion regarding Win7:
"We've come full circle, and having examined multiple areas of Microsoft's flagship operating system, we've reached one inevitable conclusion: Windows 7 is excellent."

E-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t

Take that, apple. Empty promises my ass.
Grow up (you too Microsoft) (regarding commercials like this).

Rick_Tacular

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
This is how I see it. The PC/Windows commercials show people who are happy using their Windows based PCs. Mac commercials are OMGLOL WINDOW$ IS TEH STOOPID LUL!!!!11!. Which is sad because the ads for the iPhone show people who are happy using their iPhone, and all the different apps one can have with it.

My question is this: are these ads working? I mean, is Apple getting marketing feedback that these ads are increasing their sales?

Also, regarding the Big Mac vs. Big Carl, there's nothing fallacious about the comparison. The Big Mac is a pathetic burger with more bread than meat. Then the Big Carl is shown as a contrast. The Mac commercials are all attack, misleading ones at that.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Pretty funny. One wonders with all the problems Windows has had, how they were able to garner 90% market share, though? Could it be that Mac has has its own set of problems, only worser? :)

undead

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I don't know what Apple is trying to accomplish, but it sure is not impressing me. Y'all can say what I think does not really matter, but realize that I am not alone sharing this sentiment. Don't get me wrong, I am not an Apple hater: heck, I have the first iPhone, iPhone 3G and an AirPort Extreme. But when it comes to a computer, I have one with Ubuntu, two with XP, two with Vista, and one with Windows 7, and for good reason. My reason is simply "economics". Kids, no flame wars here, alright? And with a commercial like that, they won't change my mind to buy a Mac. I mean, come on, there are tons of good things about Macs they can use to make a good sales pitch. For one, customer service, no other company that sells computers have a "genius bar" which I can go to. Granted, it's not very useful but at least, having it comes in handy once in a while. For example, when my 1st gen iPhone started losing charge, I went there, but I was thinking they would do nothing and kick me out since mine is already out of warranty. But they tested it and offered me to sell me a new one(with one year warranty)for $80 without extending the contract with AT&T. Although it's a decent deal, I opted to get the 3G for $200 with 2 yr contract. The moral of the story is, that Apple has something Microsoft can never have, and use something like that to make a good sales pitch. I know Microsoft is trying to open stores; and even if they try to imitate the genius bar, they can't do a good job like Apple since Windows is used by all kinds of computer manufacturers. Well, sorry for the rant, I am just mad at the marketing and PR idiots at Apple.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Nik_I[/nom]I love how apple goes and attackes every version of windows ever made, like they've always put out consistently good operating systems. I'm sorry, but OS9 was way behind the times, and was quite buggy. Apple really needs to stop with these sad attempts.[/citation]

Remember...Apple is also the one that stole their GUI and mouse from Xerox, then filed suit against Microsoft for creating a GUI and adding support for the mouse. Apple is still just as desparate as they were in those days....it will never change. Too many people don't want to be controlled like Apple thinks they should be. If Apple's products were nearly as good as they claim, they wouldn't be so limited to 1 particular set of hardware.

G

got to love apple and their bs. what about apple saying that their product JUST WORKS when in fact that is complete bs. they dont just work.

G

Hey go to Apple user forums and see that they have as many problems as any computer. Many of Apple's ads are talking about issues long since resolved and are using scare tactics to away PC user's to Apple.
I think their funny but I don't think they are beginning to hurt Apple more then help. I have a Mac and believe the new OS Snow Leopard is far from with out bugs and compatibility problems with software. In fact I just upgraded three computers with Windows 7 and can say it was the easiest upgrade I have done on a PC.
But I am like Steve Balmer, Windows has hundreds of software and hardware companies designing for Windows. Hands down Windows is still the majority king. Why we make so much out of Apple with maybe 10% market share is beyond me. No other company at 10% would get as much press.

G

I don't understand why Apple only points out the negative aspects of a competing product. The commercials are elitist and fail to sell me their product, as Apple seems only to talk down Windows.

G

I am actually an Apple fan.

But I hate how they put out these silly ads and focus on putting MS down, when they could praise SL instead...

I hate how they have not dropped the prices of the Macbooks and iMacs...Macbooks should be start at $799 and iMacs at $999(it has integrated graphics, for god's sake...)

I am actually beginning to hate Apple now...Maybe I should join a Windows 7 party....

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]bad_code[/nom] People that have them get sucked into the high cost and false sense of security which exists only because of their lack of knowledge of computers which is probably why they bought a mac in the first place. If I can't build it, I don't want it.[/citation]

This is a good example of disinformation. I know a lot of Mac owners who are very savvy when it comes to tech. Generalizations like yours are just ignorant.

Do you build your own motor vehicles, house, and make your own clothes?

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
It is just silly that Apple has nothing to talk about and they bash Windows for having something new that people like... They don't even mention their own products in the new line of commercials, making them sound like a bunch of bro-dudes gay bashing for no reason.

When you buy a Mac, you now carry the image the commercials are creating with you. When I see you in class with your Macbook, I think gee... that asshole thinks like the guy in those Mac commercials.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
funny ad, especially how the styles change as they go back in time.

but i do grow very tired of apple bashing microsoft with their "facts". i expected nothing less from apple though. this is just another sad cry for a larger percentage of the market.

doomhammr

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Apple needs to remember how many problems their .0 releases have. X.3.0 had a lovely filevault bug that wiped out your entire home folder when your machine was improperly booted. X.3.0 had the multilanguage screen of death and X.5.0 had their own BSOD.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Apple: A cat roaring, or a mouse trying to make a headlock to an elephant. Maybe there should do their own self-critic:

- 6502, much faster than Z80, much better than 8086!
- 68000 much faster than 6502, much better than 386!
- PowerPC, much faster than 68000, much better than Pentium.
- Core2Duo, much faster than PowerPC, much better than [next PC hardware]!

lol

G

It's pretty obvious that Tomshardware readers are mostly PC/Windows lovers. And it's not a surprise that almost all the comments made were for Windows. I've been a PC/Windows users ever since the 80286 era, and I've had my Macbook Pro for almost a year now. My Mac Leopard OS never let me down, never had to reinstall, never crashed, never had viruses, etc.. and I'm a travelling photographer so come cold, hot, wet, climate - still my trusty Macbook never failed me. I never imagine a Windows laptop give that robustness to me. I still have my old PC, running XP Pro, let's see what 7 has to offer.

G

Hey you cheap PC morons! You will never ever have enough money to buy decent computer with superb OS, you suckers. So, it's always easier to shit about something you can't have. Better shut your fucking mouth up and until you earn some money to buy decent OS and computer that does not require antiviruses and all that shit you are running on your cans, cover your face with your ears and crawl back to your sad hole.

If you hate Macs and OS X so much, then why at least 70% of you are desperately trying to run hacked OS X on your PCs? C'mon... you lost this war years ago. Who is using PCs in design world any more ? NO ONE, because PCs are for games and so they can fuck you with all those viruses, trojans and malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS