Discussion New Mac Book line

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Nope.
The Retina Display is of no interest, like many my eye sight isn't that good, so why pay the extra. The 15-20% processing power increase over what I have would be nice, about 1% of the time.

But the biggest point, I bought my (early) 2011 MBP based on the promises of super-fast storage offered by Thunderbolt, they still haven't delivered! The Promise Drives are as reliable as a second-hand car, LaCie Drives have build quality issues (hence LaCie selling-out to Seagate), G-Tech ain't available in this country (yet), Elgato drives are available at silly money for the size and speed.

The machine is well made and still at least a year ahead of most Windows machines, I'm more than happy with everything bar the Thunderbolt support, problem is fast storage is a big-ticket item for me.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I'm fairly impressed with the new models. I'm a little dissapointed about the Optical Drive and the 17" model being completely gone from the lineup :(
However i love the inclusion of USB 3.0 ports, an additional thunderbolt port and the retina display is absolutely amazing!

The repair-ability of the new machines is a little off putting. No changeable 2.5" drive, no user serviceable RAM.

I can't wait for Mountain Lion it's going to be great!

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
In your opinion is there a big difference form the 2.0 to the 3.0 ports? Thanks

inanition02

Distinguished

I don't have an MBP, but USB 3.0 ports are night and day better than 2.0 (provided you have a USB 3.0 device). If you're transferring large amounts of data 3.0 is the way to go.

That said...they would make 0 difference for most peripherals (keyboards, mice, gamepads, webcams, etc) - but large USB sticks and external hdds are awesome at 3.0.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

Oh God yes!

It's okay with a USB 2 port for smaller files, but it's truly great to have the ability to back up a few hundred gigabytes of information in say 2 hours instead of 6.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
The retina display MBP really is an great machine, if you are prepared to pay 2grand+ for a laptop.

2.5 times the resolution of 1080p, As light as the 13" model, As thin as the MB Air, dedicated graphics, full power mobile quadcore, 7 hours battery life, SSD, aluminium chassis and all the usual apple stuff (good keyboard, excellent trackpad, magnetic power connector, etc.)
Probably the best 15" laptop out there by a large margin, if you are prepared to pay for that.

As if other laptops could be repaired or upgraded easily. RAM and SSD are usually the only user replaceble parts and everything else are custom parts that cost shitloads of money on ebay.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It is not to repair friendly I agree with you on that.A bitch to fix.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
It's worse than that, whatever spec you buy has to last the life of the machine, if after a year you find you need more RAM the only way is to buy a new logic board (if available); it means you have to buy the highest spec you can, just in case.

Apples also tend to have a high re-sale value, I can see that not being the case for the lower spec machines, they may look good, but having a proprietary SSD ain't good when it comes to trying to sell it in a few years.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Apple has you by the balls with this marketing strategy of theirs which is not fair to the consumer.

mac_mac_attack

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Is the new line the first to have USB 3.0 for macbooks?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

this is the only problem i have with MAC's, they market their products on peoples ignorance. all three of these features sound great but are useless to 95% of the people that have the features.

2.5 times the resolution means that to get the same performance of a 1080p screen it would need roughly twice the graphics power to be equal, thats of course if you can tell the dif in resolutions on such small screens or game or use other gpu dependent programs.

retina displays are just a sales gimmick in my opinion.

mac_mac_attack

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

But what if I like to keep my face within an inch of my screen, I surely don't want to be able to see any pixels.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

very true. that would be horrible for anyone to be able to see any pixels from an inch a way. you know what im leaving right now to go buy a 2560x1600 pixel screen minimum. lol

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

but then people would laugh at you for spending that much on a macbook to have to look at the screen an inch away. =P

mac_mac_attack

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012

Maybe I'll troll them into looking at the pixels on their own laptop.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

who would brag about a ford fussion with Lambo body work...... in case that doesnt make since, a mac looks "good" but offer bad performance in key areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.