New Mac Pros Said to be Launching in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Its about time apple updated their mac pros. Right you it costs a whooping $2.5K for a quad-core nehalem xeon and a 5770. Talk about top of the line

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Its about time apple updated their mac pros. Right you it costs a whooping $2.5K for a quad-core nehalem xeon and a 5770. Talk about top of the line[/citation]

and with a whooping 6GB's of RAMthe Mac Pro is roughly $1700 over priced but hey its a Mac and plently love to overpay for their crap

hell my 2 year old Asus G73Jw cost me 1500 back then and is still more powerful

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I'm shocks at how out dated the hardware in the mac pros are. No other company could sell 3 generation old hardware for $4500 and get away with it. When the new one's finally hit the GPU's will be 1 generation old, classic Apple.

vfunct

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Apple PR already confirmed back in summer that the Mac pro is coming in 2013: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/apple-spokesperson-confirms-new-mac-pro-and-imac-designs-likely-coming-in-2013/

akashi

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]NightbladeXX[/nom]and with a whooping 6GB's of RAMthe Mac Pro is roughly $1700 over priced but hey its a Mac and plently love to overpay for their craphell my 2 year old Asus G73Jw cost me 1500 back then and is still more powerful[/citation]
[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom]I'm shocks at how out dated the hardware in the mac pros are. No other company could sell 3 generation old hardware for $4500 and get away with it. When the new one's finally hit the GPU's will be 1 generation old, classic Apple.[/citation]

iCult members: It's all about marginal utility.

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I don't know how they even sell Mac Pros, surely given the choice over that or the iMac, people would go with the iMac range instead!

The iMac is better specced, half the price, plus it has an amazing inbuilt monitor.

Or am I missing something?

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]I don't know how they even sell Mac Pros, surely given the choice over that or the iMac, people would go with the iMac range instead!The iMac is better specced, half the price, plus it has an amazing inbuilt monitor.Or am I missing something?[/citation]

iMacs are built on laptop components. Mac Pros are built with full fledged desktop components.

DoofusOfDeath

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
I'm surprised they're reportedly using AMD rather than nVidia. It seems to me that AMD has a non-trivial probability of going away in the next two years.

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
This is pathetically sad

Apple Reveals Mac Pro with Nehalem Xeon CPUs
9:30 AM - March 3, 2009 by Jane McEntegart - source: Tom's Hardware US
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-pro-nehalem-xeon,7162.html

It takes Apple four fkn years to update thier crap?

So the way I see it now, if some dumbass business bought a Mac Pro right now, They are spending $1000 on case and $500 on OSX, still doesnt even justify the leftover $1000 for their almost 4 year old hardware.

I have always despised Apple's business ethics but charging people this money, right now, is akin to extortion.

Just shocked, and I already loathe Apple

Hey Tom's why don't you make real news and hammer Apple for their current Mac Pro prices??

farhadd

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
[citation][nom]captainblacko[/nom]I would like to see the MBP GPU's upgraded as well. Would be nice to see the GF 675mx and 680MX in a rMBP. It'll never happen though.[/citation]
There's no way they'd get the battery life and thinness they demand from the product at this point with those parts. You'd have to tether yourself to a desk, install a Thunderbolt PCIe box with a separate full size GPU and drive an external display if you want crazy (expensive) performance :(

farhadd

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2012
Most of the people who need Mac Pros are going to be Video / Audio editing folks who run VFX and compositing apps. A lot of those apps and their plugins are now harnessing CUDA acceleration. Unfortunately, they've been slow to adopt OpenCL acceleration (Adobe is doing an admirable job there, but most companies are dragging their feet in that regard). Aftermarket parts notwithstanding, it would be much better if Apple bundled Nvidia graphics into those systems so we don't have to shell out for new graphics cards out of the box to kick performance up significantly.

[citation][nom]NightbladeXX[/nom]and with a whooping 6GB's of RAMthe Mac Pro is roughly $1700 over priced but hey its a Mac and plently love to overpay for their craphell my 2 year old Asus G73Jw cost me 1500 back then and is still more powerful[/citation]
But...but...it just works! :p

Edit: /sarcasm (in case it wasn't obvious...)

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]But...but...it just works![/citation]

LMAO, so does my Windows 7 Asus laptop and that extra $1K bought me a ton of nice accessories and beer

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]farhadd[/nom]Most of the people who need Mac Pros are going to be Video / Audio editing folks who run VFX and compositing apps. A lot of those apps and their plugins are now harnessing CUDA acceleration. Unfortunately, they've been slow to adopt OpenCL acceleration (Adobe is doing an admirable job there, but most companies are dragging their feet in that regard). Aftermarket parts notwithstanding, it would be much better if Apple bundled Nvidia graphics into those systems so we don't have to shell out for new graphics cards out of the box to kick performance up significantly.[/citation]

Well, considering that your comment is actually correct, Apple had it right by adding support for AMD cards. Their GCN architecture does wonders with OpenCL. However, who cares? You could simple build yourself a custom Mac for your editing work, which is actually pretty decent with that OS and some apps written for it.

But but againg, thats the thing: no matter from where you look, and even if they made the right choice by supporting GCN, its STILL a waste of money.

captainblacko

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]farhadd[/nom]There's no way they'd get the battery life and thinness they demand from the product at this point with those parts. You'd have to tether yourself to a desk, install a Thunderbolt PCIe box with a separate full size GPU and drive an external display if you want crazy (expensive) performance[/citation]

In theory i don't see any issues fitting a 675mx or 680mx in the 15inch rMBP as long as its got a new cooling system design. Clevo do a 680M in a 15 inch chassis, granted the chassis is much thicker than a rMBP but i think its possible. Then again no one has tested the new iMac 27inch with a 680mx yet......

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]farhadd[/nom]Most of the people who need Mac Pros are going to be Video / Audio editing folks who run VFX and compositing apps. A lot of those apps and their plugins are now harnessing CUDA acceleration. Unfortunately, they've been slow to adopt OpenCL acceleration (Adobe is doing an admirable job there, but most companies are dragging their feet in that regard). Aftermarket parts notwithstanding, it would be much better if Apple bundled Nvidia graphics into those systems so we don't have to shell out for new graphics cards out of the box to kick performance up significantly.[/citation]

The other, bigger, problem is the software side. My brother graduated university about six months ago. They gave him a MacBook when he started four years ago, along with the full Adobe Suite and Maya Creative Suite. Now, both have certain rules that prevent you from using the software for money-making purposes. However, Adobe let's you transfer your license from a Mac student license to a Windows commercial one for free (or very little cash). Maya doesn't allow this, so he'll have to buy the program new for $3600 to use it on a windows machine. He needs to get a better computer to get working freelance, and for starting up a MacPro would be best, but not if it's a 3-year old quad core CPU and GPU, and for less money he can get dual 8-core CPUs and a FirePro V5900. Like many others waiting on the MacPro, he'll probably keep waiting to see if they actually deliver, or just keep promising next year.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Too little, too late, and too expensive ... I sold my MacPro several months ago, writing was on the wall when Apple stopped making "Pro" applications in favor of "consumer" grade application like FCPX.

I moved my workflow (Adobe CS6, Cinema 4D, etc.) back to Windows 7 (and it cost be about 1/3 the price) ... Apple can do some really smart business decisions and then they can do some really stupid ones ... leaving the MacPro to age unchanged (significantly) for 3+ years was really ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.