New MacBook Airs Are Shipping Without Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
BS, why not just ship the expensive trinket without an OS..., that way when the user gets it, they can download and install the LATEST version and be sure to have the have the BEST experience EVER!

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
If I had spidy senses they'd be tingling right now. People do know that flash can and does include an auto update feature? Bill Evans's comments are definitely registering a high reading on my bullshit-ometer.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Trashit[/nom]If I had spidy senses they'd be tingling right now. People do know that flash can and does include an auto update feature? Bill Evans's comments are definitely registering a high reading on my bullshit-ometer.[/citation]

Most people see a warning or anything and just close it. I see you don't work providing user support lol

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Maybe we should say something to Apple to get them to wake up...
You aren't pre-installing it right...

Well, I do hope that we get to use the best software(html5), but Apple is going about this all wrong; they are just hurting themselves while trying to kill flash.
Who knows if HTML5 has any huge flaws anyway, since it hasn't been used that much yet.

pcfxer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Flash isn't in the default install anyway. Should we have an article saying that Windows hasn't ever shipped with Flash? Get a life and make real articles...back to anandtech...

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Well, it does make sense.
IMO they should ship it without any third-party software (if there is any other... I don't know, I've never had an Apple computer).

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
i wonder if software update would atleast show it..... if it doesn't, then, well, lets just say that stupid explanation is a whole lot of faggy bs.......

coz if i dl it directly from adobe ..... then i will have to use app fresh to check for updates.....

wonder if apple forgot about adobe air ?????

no "AIR" for the macbook Air ;) !!!!!!!

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Son of a bit*h.. I thought the article meant that new Macbook Airs were shipping without FLASH secondary Storage. Oh but not, your talking about software.

Dare I say a misleading article title?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Son of a bit*h.. I thought the article meant that new Macbook Airs were shipping without FLASH secondary Storage. Oh but not, your talking about software.Dare I say a misleading article title?[/citation]
im sure if she meant that, she wudda wrote SSD

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Jesus Christ people, this is getting ridiculous!

"Let's watch the tiny things a company does and inflate them to epic proportions!"

If Apple wanted to ship it without Flash support because they didn't like the CEO, that's their business, and if you don't like them for doing that, THEN DON'T BUY FROM THEM!

G

I'm not an apple fan, but I like this. Considering a vast majority of malway/spyware is delivered via PDF/Flash, this is a good move. Apple already has their own custom PDF viewer on mac os to prevent this, but flash is just terrible.

If you work in customer support or IT, you know that Adobe releases security updates to Flash AT LEAST once a week. Script kiddies/China is actively exploiting idiot users (which is >90% of computer users, more for Apple. They're not going to update their software.). If you buy a mac that's been sitting on the shelf for a few months, it is going to be easily owned via a flash exploit (much like a vanilla XP install is now).

Hate to take Apple's side here, but they're right. Why should they have to jump through hoops to secure someone ELSE's software? Flash needs to die in a fire.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Or maybe they should just copy what Linux installers do- when you install those, they automatically update every package that was in the distribution when it was released. This also includes Flash, for that matter.

Since the Mac pre-installer already knows what hardware is in the machine (it has to select between all of 3 drivers), all you have to do is make Internet connectivity a requirement (because if you can't afford internet access, you probably can't afford a Mac), and wait a bit while it updates. This way, you always have the most up-to-date software

This concept shouldn't just apply to Flash- it applies to every iProgram that is on the machine, including the OS core itself.

And also, your reason is that "You just don't like Flash." We can see that. But please, make the experience easier- as you say, Macs are supposed to "just work" with everything. Don't be partial.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]BS, why not just ship the expensive trinket without an OS..., that way when the user gets it, they can download and install the LATEST version and be sure to have the have the BEST experience EVER![/citation]
Because more users would install windows or linux than do today (on mac hardware) and Jobbie would lose his stranglehold on his customers.

You have to remember that these are Mac users. They have no idea what a flash is let alone what download means. install? forget it might as well teach a monkey how to drive a car.

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]does any new computer come with flash really? i had to download and install flash for my PC laptop i got back in June[/citation]

mrmez

Splendid
Yeah, Apple, bunch of douchebags.

At least Windows always comes with flash.
Huh? Windows does NOT come with flash??? It never came with flash????

My bad.

And to the guys who say Apple are "hurting themselves" Take a look at the numbers: They are 10x smaller in the computer market then MS but make the same money. Yeah, they are REALLY suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.