swolper

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Hi all,

I'm new here, but have often found the answer to my question here on Toms Hardware after a Google search. So now I have a problem which is a bit more complicated then just a Google search away. I hope I am posting this in the right place.

Recently I built a new desktop PC. It seemed to be working fine, but after running Netflix on it something strange happened. The screen went black and wiggling the mouse would not bring it back on. The complete machine would freeze up. Also the speakers/headset make a buzzing static-like sound. It remains that way until a force shutdown. This has happened multiple times when watching Netflix, or while using Photoshop. Otherwise the PC seems to work fine. In fact it seems to work really well as it is incredibly fast.

Here are the specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz
2x ATi Radeon HD 4850 in CrossFireX
ASUS P8P67-M Pro
60GB OCZ Agility II SSD
2x WD Caviar Blue 500GB HDD RAID 0
8 GB Corsair RAM
TX650W Corsair PSU

I think those are all the parts that should matter. A lot of these parts were reused from older PCs so I know that some of them work for sure. I know it is not a overheating issue, because I've been getting around 42C with CoreTemp when this is happening, and I have CoreTemp set to warn me before overheating so I'm pretty much ruling that out as the issue here. The only things that I can think of is maybe not enough power, but I did some research and found that that power supply should be able to power the two GPUs. The only other option I see here is a defective piece of hardware, potentially the motherboard. The thing is I've used some of these pieces in other PCs so I know that they work. If you guys could help me put my finger on it I would really appreciate any help you can give.

I'm really hoping that the great community here can help me with my problem. I can't emphasise this anymore but I really do appreciate any help given. Thanks in advance, and I look forward toward your replies.

swolper

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for the tip will try that. I do have the latest drivers. I am currently out of town, but will post results once I get the chance.

Is there any reason that makes you suspect the GPU here?

swolper

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
OK, so I turned off CrossFire in the ATi Catalyst, yet my problem persists. I am going to try re-installing the drivers. If it still does not fix the problem I will try removing one of the cards. I am reluctant to do this because it is a Micro-ATX setup and it is really tight in there. The case is an absolute pain, I was barely able to close it.

swolper

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
So re-installing the latest driver for my GPU did absolutely nothing. Looks like I will have to take out my second card, and see if that makes a difference. Both the cards have been used in other systems (one more than the other), so I would also speculate that it is a software problem. I have a feeling that will fix my problem, but would still like to be able to get this PC running with both cards :/. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait and see.

If anyone else has any other suggestions or input I'm all ears.

I will post results, if I ever get any...

swolper

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Turns out the problem was with the GPU. It seemed to be overheating and causing the crash. For now I have another card that I put in there that seems to be running at a more reasonable idle temperature (44 C instead of 75-80 C).