New Matrox rt 100 card?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
2,366
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I'm getting ready to purchase a RT X 100 and was wondering if anyone knows
if
this is a good time to buy or should I wait and see if a next version comes
out (if ever).

I'm a full time professional editor and there is always the worry about
"when to buy" since NAB is still in progress.

Has anyone heard anything I might need to know?

--
Steve Wills
www.kyvideoservices.com
Providing Jimmy Jib services
for Film, Video and the Music
Industry in Kentucky
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Steve <steventv@insightbb.com> wrote:
> I'm getting ready to purchase a RT X 100 and was wondering if anyone knows
> if
> this is a good time to buy or should I wait and see if a next version comes
> out (if ever).

If the card was made by ATI or NVidia, I would say wait. Matrox is
different. They is very slow at coming out with new cards. They may go
5 to 8 years on one series of cards. Right now, Matrox is pumping out
mutations of their Parhelia and G450 cards.

Now that I said that, Matrox will probably come out iwth a sucessor to the
RT x100 next week. :) I'd say it is a safe bet to go with the RT x100 if
that is what will fit your needs.

Enjoy,
Steven
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

On 26 Apr 2004 22:35:07 GMT, Steven Whatley
<swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote:

| If the card was made by ATI or NVidia, I would say wait. Matrox is
| different. They is very slow at coming out with new cards. They may go
| 5 to 8 years on one series of cards. Right now, Matrox is pumping out
| mutations of their Parhelia and G450 cards.

Matrox reminds me of some of the better stereo speaker companies: many
of their products tend to age gracefully, almost like fine wines. I
replaced everything in my two systems several times since I bought my
Matrox cards. Admittedly, I did buy a new G450 recently since one of
my G400s couldn't handle 1.5V without a physical mod. But I was wary
about making that since every source I found on how to do it assumed
people were born knowing half of the steps already.

Larc



§§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2004 22:35:07 GMT, Steven Whatley
> <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> | If the card was made by ATI or NVidia, I would say wait. Matrox is
> | different. They is very slow at coming out with new cards. They may go
> | 5 to 8 years on one series of cards. Right now, Matrox is pumping out
> | mutations of their Parhelia and G450 cards.
>
> Matrox reminds me of some of the better stereo speaker companies: many
> of their products tend to age gracefully, almost like fine wines. I
> replaced everything in my two systems several times since I bought my
> Matrox cards. Admittedly, I did buy a new G450 recently since one of
> my G400s couldn't handle 1.5V without a physical mod. But I was wary
> about making that since every source I found on how to do it assumed
> people were born knowing half of the steps already.

Oh, I was not really complaing about Matrox in my comments. On the
contrary, I am very happy with my 128MB Parhelia-512. It is a great card.
Right now, I am playing URU: Ages Beyond MYST at 1600x1200 @ 32bit giga
color. It looks and plays great for a 3D real-time rendered world. I've
got a G450 in my Linux box and I put a G550 in the system I built for
parents. I plan to stay with Matrox as long as they stay in business.

As I have said many times, "Nobody does dual head like Matrox!"

Later,
Steven
 

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
2,366
0
19,780
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I have heard that Matrox is going to coming out with a new RT 100 card and
wondered if anyone knew about it? Is it true?




"Steven Whatley" <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:408db680$0$1335$a726171b@news.hal-pc.org...
> Larc <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote:
> > On 26 Apr 2004 22:35:07 GMT, Steven Whatley
> > <swhatley_hal-pc_org@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > | If the card was made by ATI or NVidia, I would say wait. Matrox is
> > | different. They is very slow at coming out with new cards. They may
go
> > | 5 to 8 years on one series of cards. Right now, Matrox is pumping
out
> > | mutations of their Parhelia and G450 cards.
> >
> > Matrox reminds me of some of the better stereo speaker companies: many
> > of their products tend to age gracefully, almost like fine wines. I
> > replaced everything in my two systems several times since I bought my
> > Matrox cards. Admittedly, I did buy a new G450 recently since one of
> > my G400s couldn't handle 1.5V without a physical mod. But I was wary
> > about making that since every source I found on how to do it assumed
> > people were born knowing half of the steps already.
>
> Oh, I was not really complaing about Matrox in my comments. On the
> contrary, I am very happy with my 128MB Parhelia-512. It is a great card.
> Right now, I am playing URU: Ages Beyond MYST at 1600x1200 @ 32bit giga
> color. It looks and plays great for a 3D real-time rendered world. I've
> got a G450 in my Linux box and I put a G550 in the system I built for
> parents. I plan to stay with Matrox as long as they stay in business.
>
> As I have said many times, "Nobody does dual head like Matrox!"
>
> Later,
> Steven