Question New MB and CPU, cant Boot anymore

Nov 30, 2021
I installed a new motherboard MSI B550 A-Pro with a new cpu AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and it doesn't start up. When turning it on the 4 LEDs starts out with CPU, jumps Dram, quickly to VGA for about 3sec and last to boot. With only my SSD(s) connected the Boot LED stays on, with the Windows CD connected the Boot LED goes out as well (no LEDs in the end left)
My screen remains black. I already did a BIOS update (flashed the BIOS) and tried all combinations of storage wiring

Specs
  • (new) MSI B550 A-Pro
  • (new) Ryzen 7 5800X
  • (new) 2x 16GB Kingston Renegades DDR4-3600
  • 1000W Power supply
  • Zotac 980 TI
  • Nocuta Fan (NH-15 or smth)
  • Old HDD for Backups
  • 2TB SSD for usage/games
  • 480GB SSD mainly for windows (windows already installed)
Old System was with Intel i7 4790K with suitig MB and RAM

Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Try booting with only the boot SSD connected. No other drives.

Try booting into Safe Mode

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to double check all connections and applicable configuration settings.

For example, some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module must be installed in a specific RAM slot.

= = = =

However the most likely problem is "480GB SSD with windows from my old system".

For the most part you will need to do a clean Windows install. Just swapping in or otherwise installing the old system boot drive can be quite problematic - even if the system successfully manages to boot.

Windows clean install is needed.

From this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Nov 30, 2021
Hi Ralston, thank you for your reply

Try booting with only the boot SSD connected. No other drives.
The boot SSD being the SSD with windows on it in this case? I tried that and the "boot" debug LED was remaining

Try booting into Safe Mode
I cant boot to save mode from windows (as it does not work). Holding f8 when starting the PC does not work either. I dont get a picture on the screen

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to double check all connections and applicable configuration settings.

For example, some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM module must be installed in a specific RAM slot.
I initialy did that but I will check again. At least for the ram im sure that it is in the right place ( like it is written on the board)

However the most likely problem is "480GB SSD with windows from my old system".

For the most part you will need to do a clean Windows install. Just swapping in or otherwise installing the old system boot drive can be quite problematic - even if the system successfully manages to boot.

Windows clean install is needed.

From this Forum:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/
I already prepared a USB stick with the clean installation and tried to boot from it. I tried different combinations.
  • only installation usb
  • insallation usb with 480GB SSD
  • installation usb with 2TB SSD (with no windows on it)
  • installation usb with my old HDD just to try it

in all cases the "boot" debug LED switched off. But i got no image on the screen and no BIOS

TRENDING THREADS