New MB + New CPU = New XP?

arctic_blizzard

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Hi,
Just this morning, my mobo decided that it was better off dead and killed itself, to my utter dismay. However, I was looking for an excuse to upgrade, and this is as good as any! Anyway, because I cannot boot up I cannot backup the things I need on my HD. If I were just to install a new Mobo and CPU and leave everything else alone, including my already installed version of windows. Will it boot? Or will I have to bite the bullet and just lose everything on my drive? Thanks for all the help

I do intend, if I can get it to boot with the new components- to back up whatever I need and then format my drive, and reinstall windows. I just want to be able to recover the files I need.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
You might actually be able to boot up the new hardware with the old XP installation. I once did the same thing, but with a Windows 98 install....
It took 30 minutes to install new hardware, but it did work. That said, after you get your files, your going to want to reinstall windows, because it will be dreadfully slow otherwise.

I also agree with the above replies. If there is any way to install XP on a different hard drive, if only temporarily, do it. This will save a lot of headaches.

Best of Luck

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Need more information.

Installing a new MB may or may not require a re-install of XP. I switched from AMD to Intel and never re-installed XP. It mainly has to do with the chipset and HD controller. A repair installation which is non-volatile should correct those issues. Vista in Theory shouldn't have an issue with this...

From performance and housekeeping stand point you should re-install if you install different components.

DC

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
You may or may not need to reinstall XP with the new mobo. How about taking the drive out and putting it in a friend or relative's computer if you don't have a second one around and get the data off that way. You can also get a USB adapter, so you don't have to get invasive with the 2nd computer.

I use the Vantec and it works great with usb 2.0 or 1.1. Good luck!

arctic_blizzard

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Thanks for all the replies guys! I just ordered my CPU from Newegg and it should be here at the end of the week. I will definitly have to try one of these suggestions.

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
It should work fine, mine did. I went from a 2500 to a 3700 and changed motherboard and didn't need to reinstall. Probably worth doing it after tho as having older drivers can be hassle. In my case I uninstalled any older drivers which you don't have the option to do but still I'm fairly confident it will work.

roallin

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
If you are going to swap the motherboards, make sure they both have the same chipset. If this is the case, doing a repiar install will usually work.