maphysto

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Bought a new mobo, new athlon 64 and vid card. Installed them, bios displayed just fine, windows wouldnt show up. Used windows XP disk, windows would begin installing, when it got to 34 min left, it hit some dll error, rebooted it and now when it trys to install, the screen is black except for mouse cursor. I tried booting from the CD again with no luck.

The computer used to run fine was a barton 2500 on an Asus board, I was merely upgrading. Now it wants to install but stops after the Windows load screen. This is an upgrade copy of Windows XP. I have no clue where my 98 disk is. There was an option to install a clean copy of windows but I didnt wanna lose what i had on the drive. I dont think that it would install a new copy beacause it is an upgrade disk.

I been messing with this thing for hours and have no idea what to do now that the screen loads the install then goes black with just the mouse cursor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You're going to have to install a fresh copy of XP... there is no way around that. Before doing the upgrade, you should have backed everything up so that you could format and reinstall Windows. Now, the only way you're going to be able to back anything up is to take the hard drive and put it in another computer, copy what you need and then format / reinstall.

sturm

Splendid
I'll second that motion. Zoron is right. Anytime you change the motherboard you need to do a reinstall. Some people may say you dont have to, but its a lot safer, cleaner and less problems to just do a clean install.

maphysto

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
picked up a USB external harddrive enclosure and am now copying the important stuff to the laptop. Question now is, what am i to do with just a windows XP home upgrade disk and no full version of an os besides the one currently on the hd? This is a legit copy of win98, I havent used it in so long i have no clue where it is. Will the XP upgrade allow me to install it w/out 98? Or is this gonna cost me $$$ for full xp?